Getting over the Christmas blues

The Croft Magazine // Many of us feel down after New Years and Christmas, what are the best ways to get out and enjoy January?

By Izzy Lepone, Second Year, English

The Croft Magazine // Many of us feel down after New Years and Christmas, what are the best ways to get out and enjoy February?

The aftermath of Christmas and New Years can often feel like an anti-climax. So, it is unsurprising that many of us want nothing more than to hibernate during the cold month of February and are often accompanied by feelings of sadness, as there is 'nothing to look forward to'.

However, February shouldn’t be a bleak time characterised by the Christmas blues. There are a multitude of low budget activities to look forward to that will improve your month.

The months after Christmas can feel like a bit of a snooze | Epigram / Izzy Lepone

Catch up with friends

The Christmas period is an especially busy one, and February is a perfect time to check in with those we may have lost touch with towards the end of last year. Grabbing a coffee with a friend or going on a walk are simple ways to lift your mood, without being too mentally or physically demanding after a chaotic month. The Clifton Suspension Bridge is on our doorstep with Leigh Woods just beyond that, so why not seize the end of February to explore Bristol?

When recovering from a spell of feeling down, it is particularly important to enjoy small pleasures, such as time spent with loved ones and outdoors amongst nature. Additionally, sharing your seasonal blues with friends is hugely comforting in knowing that you’re not experiencing them alone.

Try something new

Taking up a new hobby is an ideal way to shake yourself out of a gloomy rut and establish a fresh, enjoyable routine for the year. Yoga is just one example of an activity with incredible benefits for the mind and body, and the classes provided by the university's Yoga Society are both affordable and beginner friendly. If this isn’t for you, you might consider joining a sports team, taking up art classes or even volunteer work. Granted, the idea of the unknown is intimidating, but the prospect of spontaneous and exciting experiences will ultimately encourage you to get out and make the most of the month ahead.

A change in scenery can help bring excitement to your week | Epigram / Izzy Lepone

Take a trip

A change of scenery can be just the thing to cure the Christmas blues. Instead of dwelling on the expired fun of the festive period, visiting a town or city you’ve never been to before can help create new memories. Bath is roughly a 10-minute train journey from Bristol and makes for a great day out, with several museums, pubs, and sightseeing points to visit. There is no better way to pique your interest in the approaching months than to organise a day trip and journey out into new surroundings.

How I tackle my Seasonal Depression

Toxic New Year resolutions

Have a day off

Finally, don’t place too much pressure on yourself to arrange extravagant plans for every day of the week. There is a very tangible expectation nowadays for us to see drastic improvements in our life after the New Year, however this pressure often leads to us only feeling more dismayed in having failed to achieve such unrealistic goals. If on some days you want to enjoy February by staying at home and watching Netflix or reading a good book, it’s more important for you to honour that preference than reluctantly force your way through a packed schedule of plans, only to exhaust yourself.

Ensure you take as much time as you need to recuperate after the Christmas period between maximizing the opportunities both February and March hold, you deserve it!

Featured image: Epigram / Izzy Lepone

How are you handling your Christmas blues? Let us know!