'Youth Climate Swarm' to take action in Bristol

On Saturday 15 January, the environmentalist group known as ‘Youth Climate Swarm’ will be taking action in Bristol and swarm several locations.

By Freya Shaw, News Reporter

On Saturday 15 January, the environmentalist group known as ‘Youth Climate Swarm’ will be taking action in Bristol and will swarm several locations.

Meeting at 12pm in Queen Square, the protest should last approximately 2 hours. Alongside the demo taking place in Bristol, there will also be 'swarms' tomorrow in Manchester and London.

Recently emerging from London in December, the activists use the tactic of swarming. This is when a group of people temporarily block roads for short periods of time to cause disruption and publicise their demands.

Youth Strike for Climate, who are coordinating Bristol's Youth Climate Swarm, at a demonstration in February 2020

Youth climate swarm state they have three demands which are as follows:

‘ 1 - Just Stop Oil: Cambo is a new oilfield development in the North Sea. The International Energy Agency says there must be NO MORE investments in fossil fuels, yet Cambo is going ahead! We must Stop Cambo and stop oil!

2 - Free Transport: The use of public transport would bring down our emissions and improve our lives. It makes public transport accessible to all, we must stamp out transport fees!

3 - Insulate Britain: Insulate ALL of Britain’s homes, starting with social and low-income housing. This will help to reduce fuel poverty that is currently killing 8,500 people every year. ’

Although these are national demands, YCS wants to remind Bristol’s leadership of the promises they have made on these issues and hold them to account for them.

The group has stated that, ‘On free transport, city leadership in Bristol have promised free public transport for 16-18-year-olds in 2021 as part of the One City plan. 2021 has passed yet there is no free travel for 16 to 18-year-olds. In the 2021 Labour mayoral manifesto, Marvin Rees promised free public transport for students and apprentices, yet again we are presented with no evidence that this will ever be implemented.’

Youth Climate Swarm's actions are being coordinated by Bristol Youth Strike 4 Climate. The group has stated that 'swarms' will be monthly, with the next one taking place on 12 February.

This demonstration coincides with a Kill the Bill protest at 1pm on College Green as part of a national day of action against the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill.

Featured Image: Instagram: @youthclimateswarm / Epigram|Canva

More information about Youth Climate Swarm can be found on their website.