Bristol SU opens zero waste shop

Bristol SU has opened a trial Zero Waste Shop as part of Sustainability Month. With doors first opening on Thursday 4 November, this week will be the shops first full week welcoming customers.

By Alice Clarke, SU Correspondent

The shop will allow students to buy essentials at affordable prices without worrying about plastic waste.

The shop has a lot to offer students who hope to shop sustainably but at an affordable price. A mix of different food products such as pasta, grains, pulses, dried fruit, cereal, sweets, herbs and spices are being sold, as well as toiletries such as reusable sanitary products.

Students are encouraged to bring along their own containers, but if they forget, there will be containers available to buy.

Bristol SU’s Zero Waste Shop will run for a trial period over the remainder of this term, with the hope that it will then become a permanent fixture.

The store will be run by student staff and it will only be possible to purchase goods in-person.

Bristol Students' Union

Ruth Day, Bristol SU’s Student Living Officer, said: 'We are incredibly excited to be trialling the first Bristol SU Zero Waste Shop following feedback at the most recent University People's Assembly for the Climate that this is what students wanted to see.

'We hope that we can provide a cheap way for students to shop zero waste in Bristol and start to reduce the impact their weekly shop has on the planet. We're incredibly grateful to Bristol alumni and friends for giving us funding to make this project a reality, and hope that we can turn this trial shop into a permanent part of the SU!'

The shop, which will be open next to the Balloon Bar in the Richmond Building, will be open on weekdays from 11am-3pm.

Featured image: Bristol SU

Did you know about the SU's Zero Waste Shop?