Bristol University confirms there will be no in-person graduation ceremonies this year

The University of Bristol has confirmed that all in-person graduation ceremonies will be postponed until Spring 2022.

Epigram News Team

This includes for the July 2020 and February 2021 cohorts who have so far not had graduated in-person, and cohorts that are due to graduate this coming July and in February 2022.

The University, however, has said these graduation plans for next year will be subject to the pandemic.

The venues used to host in-person ceremonies are not large enough to follow social distancing guidelines | Epigram / Cameron Scheijde

In an update on the University’s website this morning, the University said ‘we deem the risk of disruption too high to proceed’ and that social distancing requirements will mean the venues used to host in-person ceremonies ‘are not big enough’.

Affected students are due to receive an email soon explaining the decision, and have been asked to update their personal email address at the Student Info page so they can still be contacted once their ‘@bristol.ac.uk’ address expires.

Instead, for those due to graduate in July or February 2022, virtual celebration events will take place, which the University say ‘are not replacements for graduations’ and are ‘an opportunity for the Class of 2021 to celebrate your time at the University in the interim’.

Students across the UK to protest following the further delay of campus reopening
Bristol University confirms that some students will not receive in-person teaching until next year

Explaining the decision further, a University of Bristol spokesperson said: ‘After careful consideration, due to the ongoing unpredictability around hosting mass events, it has been agreed that in-person graduations will not take place in 2021.

‘Virtual celebrations will take place in the summer for the February 2021 and July 2021 cohorts.

‘The plan is to host ceremonies for all students who have not yet had the opportunity to graduate in Spring 2022.

‘We know many students will be disappointed by this decision, but we look forward to next year when we can hold these ceremonies safely.’

Featured Image: University of Bristol

Are you frustrated or unsurprised by the graduation plans? Let us know via newsteam.epigram@gmail.com.