Bristol Suspensions celebrate win at ICCA UK final

On 10 April, the Bristol Suspensions, a 17-piece mixed a cappella group of Bristol University a Cappella society, were announced the winners of the UK National leg of the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella.

By Lauren Paddison, Music Subeditor.

Placing as runners-up in both the 2018 and 2019 finals, the recent win is testament to the dedication and hard work of the group through years of competing and possibly the most difficult year for performance groups in the competition’s history.

For the first time the championship was held entirely online, with competing groups submitting video performances for scrutiny by the judges. Despite the immense challenge of remote collaboration, group members Oscar Andrusier, with Robbie Armstrong, Nathan Cave, and Rosa Witts also managed to secure the Special Award for Outstanding Arrangement of their performance of ‘The Heartburn Song’.

President of Bristol University A Cappella society Alistair Manclark said of the victory, ‘we are so proud to see our friends in the Bristol Suspensions become national champions! After some insanely close calls in recent years, it’s amazing to see them get the recognition that they deserve, and we can’t wait to see them competing with the best groups in the world in the international finals later this year.

‘A special mention also deserves to go to our members in Pitch Fight, who placed third in the same round - we’re so proud of what our groups have managed to do over such a difficult year!’

Publicity Officer at Bristol University A Cappella Society Laura Travis also commends: ‘The Bristol Suspensions have worked so hard this year to keep producing amazing a cappella throughout lockdown.

‘They deserve their national champion title to no end. Good luck to them at the Internationals!’

This recent success comes not long after fellow Bristol a cappella group, Academy, secured nominations for five awards at the American Contemporary A Cappella Society’s Contemporary A Cappella Recording Awards (CARAs) following the release of their debut album, Exhibit A.

A cappella at Bristol shows no signs of yielding in their pursuit of award-winning music, celebrating a very fruitful year of competing.

Featured Image: Bristol University A Cappella Society / Laura Travis

Have you watched the Bristol Suspensions’ ICCA winning entry?