Alternative wellbeing series: crystals for subtle support

The Croft Magazine // In the latest instalment of our series looking at student-friendly alternative therapies, James explores how crystals have been used for centuries to promote healing and relaxation.

By James Emery, Third Year, Biomedical Sciences

The use of crystals to heal the body and mind is something that I have been recently introduced to and has been really helpful to me, especially during this stressful time full of deadlines.

I am going to tell you how to use different crystals to focus on specific ailments and emotions, how to care for your crystals as well as about a few of my favourites that have really been a great help to me.

Some great beginner's crystals include clear quartz, rose quartz and fluorite | Epigram / Rosie Angel-Clark

First, let’s look at clear quartz, otherwise known as rock quartz, a stone that has personally been very helpful. Clear quartz is known as ‘the master healer’ and is believed to sharpen the memory, increase concentration, and bring balance to the mind and body.

In my experience I have found that clear quartz is best used when meditating: placing the crystal on the forehead helps to clear and balance the mind as well as build focus. It is also a great amplifier, so any energy and intentions that you put into it will be rewarded back ten-fold.

Clear quartz, illuminated in the centre of the figurine, is known as the 'master healer' | Epigram / James Emery

Another of my favourites is rose quartz which is also great for healing, focusing specifically on the heart and emotions. It can be used to focus on self-love (something we all often lack when we are drowning in uni work), and allows us to take a little time for ourselves.

It can also help to relieve stress and even find love, depending on the intention you have whilst using it. I personally like to have rose quartz with me while doing something that I love to do, to charge the crystal with positive loving energy.

The final type is amethyst, which is another strong healer that has been called ‘nature’s tranquiliser’. It is even worn in a ring by the Pope. Amethyst promotes healing in the soul, body, and mind, bringing serenity and clarity which can be very useful when writing essays and dissertations.

Amethyst is great in jewellery, and is even worn in a ring by the Pope | Epigram / James Emery

Its high frequency is also believed to cleanse the aura of negative energy, leaving you more balanced and better equipped to tackle your deadlines. My preferred use of amethyst is to always have it on me, whether as jewellery or next to me while I work, to bring a sense of calm.

Alternative wellbeing series: aromatherapy for student-friendly stress relief
Alternative wellbeing series: a greener way to fight stress

While using crystals, make sure to treat them with respect and cleanse them of any negative energies they may absorb. Cleansing can be done simply by washing them under cold water or with smoke from burning sage (making sure the sage is ethically sourced and you don’t set off a fire alarm!).

Stones can also be charged to give them an extra oomph by leaving them in direct moonlight, or by anointing them with oils to strengthen their properties or give new ones.

Featured image: Epigram / James Emery

Could not load content Could not load content