Registration for the virtual Bristol Run Series is now open

You can now register for the virtual Bristol Run Series for distances of 5k, 10k or a half marathon. The events are free to sign up for and will take place during three separate windows starting in March and finishing in September.

By Eddie McAteer, Sports Editor

In the coming months, the University of Bristol will be putting on a series of runs for students, staff and alumni where runners will log their distances on an app.

The University’s Vice-Chancellor, Professor Hugh Brady, hopes it will encourage ‘thousands of people [to] take up the challenge and go running safely’.

The medals feature three Bristol landmarks | University of Bristol

The 5k run will take place between 20-21 March, the 10 between 8-16 May and the half marathon between 18-26 September, with medals available to all participants.

Each medal portrays an iconic Bristol landmark and joins to the others to create a whole Bristol scene.

Medals are free if you sign up to all three events by 1 March, but cost £2.75 each if ordered thereafter.

Anyone who signs up will have access to free training programmes, as well as advice on injury-prevention, warming up and cooling down, route planning and nutrition.

With general entry completely free and three lockdowns in the past year, many will welcome the opportunity of getting out the house and hundreds have already reportedly signed up.

Top of the spots: Bristol's best exercise sites
How Bristol students are working out from home

The University’s Director of Sport Exercise and Health, Matt Birch, has said: ‘You don’t have to be an athlete to take part. Whether you run, jog or walk it – we’d love to get you involved.’

The event will also have a charitable aspect to it after over £4,000 was donated to charities, following the cancellation of last year’s Bristol 10k.

Runners of the Bristol Run Series can donate to the University of Bristol Healthy Minds programme and NHS Charities Together.

You can sign up using this link or through the University of Bristol Sport app.

Featured Image: University of Bristol

Will you be taking part in the event?