2021 Fashion Resolutions

The Croft Magazine // From switching up her style to shopping more sustainably, Ellie Gladwin shares her fashion resolutions for 2021.

By Ellie Gladwin, Second year History

The Croft Magazine // From switching up her style, to shopping more sustainably, Ellie Gladwin shares her fashion resolutions for 2021.

So, 2020 was not so great. But if anything, that gives us the perfect excuse to make the most out of 2021! In the words of Condé Nast Traveller, “2021 will be the year we travel more thoughtfully - but also, more gleefully.” Although our humble student budgets and Bojo’s travel restrictions might not let us take that statement in the literal sense, we can all indulge and go on a little adventure with our style. Maybe we start to shop more sustainably (translation - thoughtfully) and maybe we could all do with having a little bit more fun with what we wear. We all deserve to.

Here are some ideas that I’ve decided to take along into 2021!

Fun dressing

To take a note from Harry Styles, fashion  is there to be played with. Experiment with vibrant colours and patterns. If red is your colour, try burgundy or coral for size! One of the biggest trends at the moment that can jazz up any outfit is a pair of patterned tights. From Kate Moss’ January 2021 British Vogue shoot to the spectacular feature on Regé-Jean Page and Phoebe Dynevor (from Bridgerton), spotty tights are adding a certain ‘je ne sais quoi’ to our staple outfits.

Epigram/Ellie Gladwin
Epigram/Ellie Gladwin

Flexible fashion

If 2020 taught us anything, it’s to roll with the punches. We went from dressing for the roaring 20s to making small upgrades from pyjamas to sweats. I have a feeling there will be a healthy dose of both this year! A pair of leggings and a funky jumper can take you from comfortable lockdown-chic to vaccinated party chick, if you style it with some out of this world shoes and makeup. Low maintenance at its finest!

Epigram/Ellie Gladwin
Epigram/Ellie Gladwin
Epigram/Ellie Gladwin

Sustainable style

2020 also spotlighted workers' rights in the fast-fashion industry. Despite fast-fashion being spectacularly convenient, one of my resolutions will be to recycle what I already have. If you follow Trinny Woodall on Instagram, you will see her take items of clothing that she’s had for years and style them in new ways. Easy right? If however, new items are necessary, look at local charity shops, Depop, Ebay, Etsy, etc, or look for other platforms that can help you build a more sustainable wardrobe.

Epigram/Ellie Gladwin
Epigram/Ellie Gladwin

What are your fashion resolutions for 2021?

The sustainable gift guide

How to wear Pantone's colours of the year 2021

Featured image: Epigram/Morgan Collins

Check out The Croft Magazine on Instagram for some more stylish content!