The year ahead with Film Society

As part of our short interview series with the film societies on offer at Bristol, I spoke to this year’s president of Film Society, Guy Atoun.

By Maddy Raven, Film & TV Editor

As part of our short interview series with the film societies on offer at Bristol, I spoke to this year’s president of Film Society, Guy Atoun. There’s still plenty to do in Bristol if you’re interested in film, despite the ways in which the University experience is changing.

Courtesy of Curzon 

Guy is going into his third year studying law, but obviously, he has a deep interest in film: ‘I’m really interested in how filmmakers represent history in film, and to what degree is the truth manipulated,’ he says.  

And, of course, he’s this year’s president of Film Society.

The main focus of the society is their weekly screening event: usually, members vote for which films they’d like to see, but they’ve also hosted bigger screenings in collaboration with other societies, such as Cold War (2018) with Polish Society.

The society’s collaborations tend to be their most popular screenings

They also invite academics and lecturers to talk after their screenings. At the Holocaust Memorial Day screening, academic Janek Gryta, who also runs a unit at the University, gave a talk about Jewish history, which is his area of focus.

The society’s collaborations tend to be their most popular screenings. ‘We also screened Paris is Burning (1990) with LGBT+ society, and I’m really eager to continue showing lesser-known and cult films,’ Guy adds.

Their pub quizzes are also a lot of fun, and last year they had so many people come that they filled the entire pub.

From the University of Bristol Film Society's Facebook Page

This year, Guy wants to hold more collaborative screenings and perhaps screen some newer films. There’s also the possibility that Film Society can be in touch with distribution companies and find some free tickets to events for their members.

During term, the best way to join is to come to their screenings, which are usually on Fridays at 7:30pm. Film Society is also on social media, with a prominent following on Facebook.

The year ahead with Film Departmental Society
Watersprite Film Festival: In conversation with the filmmakers behind For Sama

While their screenings are free, membership is £3 for the whole year! You don’t need to pay on the door, so everyone is welcome. It’s a great way to get involved and see some more indie films.

Film has continued to be a productive industry during lockdown, despite the halting of many projects in their filming stages, so why not branch out and watch some lesser known films? You may surprise yourself.

Featured: Curzon, The University of Bristol Film Society Facebook Page

Let us know which film society you'd like us to cover next!

Epigram Film & TV / Twitter / Instagram