Greta Thunberg and Sir David Attenborough to appear together for a first time at Bristol event

Greta Thunberg and Sir David Attenborough, two of the world’s most treasured environmentalists, are set to appear together for the first time at an event next week in Bristol.

By Teddy Coward, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Greta Thunberg and Sir David Attenborough, two of the world’s most treasured environmentalists, are set to appear together for the first time at a Bristol event next week.

The iconic British broadcaster, 94, and the teenage activist, 17, will come together for a discussion on ‘the most pressing issue of our age – the climate emergency.’

The event is being held by Bristol’s Wildscreen Festival, which typically attracts thousands of visitors to Bristol to present the best wildlife documentary and film-making from around the world.

Owing to coronavirus restrictions, the festival this year will be held online, ensuring that anyone can see the duo who wishes to and capacity is unlimited.

Students will receive a 50 per cent discount, which can be purchased through the Wildscreen website.

Sir David Attenborough is a patron of the Wildlife Screen Festival and many of the legendary broadcaster’s programs have been produced by teams at the BBC’s Natural History Unit in Bristol.

Sue Martineau, interim Wildscreen CEO, has said: ‘We are so proud that two of the most famous figures in the fight against climate change have agreed to take time out of their exceptionally busy schedules to appear at Wildscreen Festival 2020.

‘The brave and powerful voices of the iconic naturalist Sir David Attenborough and the climate and environmental activist Greta Thunberg is a compelling gift and couldn’t be more pertinent in our current global crisis.’

Alastair Fothergill, Co-director for David Attenborough A Life On Our Planet, added: ‘This is the very first time that Sir David and Greta have had the chance for a detailed conversation and it certainly does not disappoint.’

In February, 20,000 people, including Bristol University students, gathered to see Greta Thunberg in a School Strike for Climate march.

Greta Thunberg speaks to huge crowd in Bristol
Extinction Rebellion Youth begin four-day protest by blocking Clifton Suspension Bridge

The event was the final major school strike held against the environmental crisis, before protest organisers decided to temporarily pause their strikes in response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Wildscreen Festival begins on Monday 19 October and runs until Friday 23 October.

Featured Image: Silverback Films

Will you attend the event and see Sir David Attenborough and Greta Thunberg?