Labour suspends Bristol Uni professor after claiming Sir Keir Starmer was 'in receipt of money from the Zionist movement'

David Miller, a lecturer in political sociology at the University of Bristol, was suspended by the Labour Party this week following allegations of antisemitism.

By Benjamin Salmon, Deputy News Editor

Miller, a long-time critic of the state of Israel, confirmed to the pro-Palestinian website Electronic Intifada that he had been suspended by Labour, claiming he was suspended as part of a ‘targeted harassment of socialist members.’

In a video posted on YouTube earlier this year, Miller claimed that Sir Keir Starmer – who at the time was campaigning for the Labour leadership – was ‘in receipt of money from the Zionist movement.’

The YouTube event was hosted by former Labour MP Chris Williamson, who was blocked from standing at the 2019 election as a result of his suspension due to a string of antisemitic incidents.

Jewish students at the University of Bristol have previously complained about Miller’s behaviour.

In March 2019, a complaint was submitted to the University after Miller contended that Zionist organisations in the UK, such as the Board of Deputies of British Jews, were funding the spread of Islamophobia.

The Board of Deputies is a democratic Jewish communal organisation which campaigns on Jewish interests, promotes interfaith work and fights against antisemitism.

The University rejected the complaint and took no disciplinary action against Mr Miller.

In November 2018, Miller alleged that Jewish students’ security concerns on campus were the product of ‘propaganda which they had been schooled with’ and said he believed that most antisemitism accusations within Labour were ‘mostly false.’

The Union of Jewish Students said in light of Miller's suspension: 'Jewish students have repeatedly raised issue with David Miller’s use of antisemitic conspiracy theories.

'Jewish students at Bristol and The Union of Jewish Students hope that the ongoing investigation at his university will result in appropriate action taken against David Miller.'

Miller has been contacted for comment.

Featured image credit: Epigram / Imogen Horton

Should the University take action against David Miller? Let us know!