Uni closes all buildings following coronavirus lockdown

Halls of residence will remain open and online library services will continue.

By Benjamin Salmon, Deputy News Editor

The University has taken the decision to close all buildings across campus, apart from halls of residence, in light of the government’s decision to enforce a lockdown due to the escalating coronavirus pandemic.

In an email to all students, Sarah Purdy, Pro Vice-Chancellor of Student Experience, announced the University had extended its partial closure to include the study spaces in the Arts and Social Sciences Library from midday today (24 March).

The email explained how online library services will still be available as library staff will be conducting their usual work remotely from home.

Halls of residences will remain open for students who are staying in Bristol over the lockdown.

Professor Purdy concluded the email on a poignant note: ‘These are extraordinary times, and we appreciate your support and patience as the situation changes rapidly.’

The University had already closed most of its buildings last week with the latest developments extending this to all buildings.

Under the government’s newest measures to tackle the spread of the virus, people should not leave their homes apart from the shop for essentials, care for other people in isolation, travel to work in essential jobs and to exercise once per day.

People are also not allowed to gather in groups of more than two people, unless they are from the same household.

The new measures will be enforced by the police with fines.

Featured image credit: Epigram / Cameron Scheijde

How are you keeping yourself entertained during the lockdown? Let us know!