Women's Rugby 1s claim their biggest win of the season

On Wednesday, the Bristol Women’s Rugby team played Swansea 1s in their 5th game of the season marking their halfway mark for their BUCS Southern Premiership league

By Frankie Woolf, Women's Rugby Club Captain

On Wednesday, the Bristol Women’s Rugby team played Swansea 1s in their 5th game of the season marking their halfway mark for their BUCS Southern Premiership league.

This match was part of the Universities ‘This Girl Can: Wednesday Night Lights’ showcase, alongside Women’s Tennis, Football and Hockey spectator opportunities that occurred throughout the day.

Leading into this game we expected it be very competitive, having narrowly beaten Swansea in October 19-17, but after just a few minutes we knew this was going to be a very different game.

Bristol tackle / Smifsports Photography

The opening try came from Phoebe Beer after an exciting interlinking play between the forwards and backs before the ball was spun to the wide channels and Beer showed her fast pace on the outside to run in the try from 40m out. This was then converted by Phoebe Murray.

Bristol continued to score within quick succession with a brace of tries from Ellie McCarthy with Issy Eyres adding a further. They both showed great power to break through multiple tackles to get over the whitewash. This made the score 22-0 at half time.

Team talk / Smifsports Photography

After the break, Bristol continued to show aggressive defence and electric attack with 7 more tries added to the scoreboard. Phoebe Beer once again showed her great pace by a break down the left wing and dotted the ball down under the posts, whilst Issy Eyres powered her way over, both taking their total to 2 tries each.

Frankie Woolf lead the forward pack from the front and demonstrated her great strength to secure a brace of tries. Phoebe Murray, Brooke Clarke and Lou Brett also scored in the second half, with Maddie Rendell adding three conversions to the total. Bristol’s defence had been solid all game but in the last few minutes of the game Swansea were able to find a gap and scored their one try of the game with a successful conversion.

Bristol attack /Smifsports Photography

The final score of the game was 63-7 to Bristol. With crunching tackles and dynamic open play this was undoubtedly the best performance Bristol have shown this season.

After this game, Bristol Women’s 1s now sit very comfortably in 3rd place with one game yet to play. Your next opportunity to watch us play will be on the 4th December on the 3G at Coombe Dingle where we will take on Sussex 1s at a 15:00 kick off, so please come along and support us in our final match!

Featured Image: Smifsports Photography

Head over to rugby's social media to follow the rest of their season!