Royal Fort Gardens receives fourth consecutive green space award

The public garden, which forms a central part of the University of Bristol campus, has been awarded the prestigious Green Flag award for the fourth consecutive year.

By Georgiana Scott, Investigations Editor

Over the years, Royal Fort Gardens has undoubtedly become one of UoB’s most iconic social hubs at the heart of campus. In good weather, students flock in their masses to lie down on the manicured grass and bask in the sun.

The historical garden was originally a civil war defence ground, and now celebrates its fourth consecutive Green Flag award. The globally recognised accolade exists to acknowledge well-managed parks and green spaces that are welcoming, biodiverse and involve the community.

A green flag stands in Royal Fort, amongst the public art on display, as a symbol of the achievement of the University staff who look after it.

University of Bristol Arboriculture & Horticultural Manager, Kevin Stuckey said: 'We are absolutely delighted to receive a Green Flag Award for the fourth year. It’s a great recognition of the dedication and enthusiasm that the Garden and Grounds team, volunteer students and wider staff involvement have provided to enhance and maintain Royal Fort Gardens to such a high standard over the last year.

'We know how much quality green spaces matter to our students, staff, visitors and the local community, and this award celebrates what make the gardens such a joy and relaxing place to visit.'

Featured image: Epigram / Cameron Scheijde

Enjoying Royal Fort Gardens this summer? Send us your pictures!