Conservative MP Dominic Grieve speaks at Bristol

Dominic Grieve made the case for a People's Vote and criticised politicians' failure to value substance over presentation.

By James Cleaver, Online News Editor

Dominic Grieve, Member of Parliament for Beaconsfield, spoke in Bristol this evening about the 'extraordinary fracturing of politics' the Brexit process had unleashed.

At an event organised by the Bristol University Conservative Association (BUCA), Mr. Grieve lamented what he saw as 'the single biggest peacetime crisis' in modern times, the responsibility for which he laid at the door of politicians who had favoured presentation over truth both before and after the referendum.

The politician made the case for a People's Vote on Theresa May's Brexit deal, arguing that another referendum could hardly be as divisive as another decade of trade negotiations. While Mr. Grieve is one of only nine Conservative MPs who have publicly backed a People's Vote, he claimed that up to 20 Tory MPs might be willing to put their heads above the parapet at some point.

The former Attorney General also touched on the coarsening of political discourse and the death threats he had been the subject of, calling for greater moderation from all sides.

'It was an honour to have down a real political heavyweight and have fun and friendly discussions on all things Brexit.'

While admitting uncertainty about the future outcome, Mr. Grieve predicted that Article 50 would have to be extended, and that MPs would increasingly exert themselves in a process in which they had been marginalised by the executive.

Harry Eastley-Jones, President of BUCA, said: 'Although I and many other members of our society may not agree with Dominic on all things, it was an honour to have down a real political heavyweight and have fun and friendly discussions on all things Brexit.'

The talk came after Dominic Grieve's amendment to give MPs control of the business of the House of Commons for six days before Brexit Day was defeated on 29 January.

The University's Vice-Chancellor Hugh Brady recently claimed in an interview with Epigram that a no-deal Brexit 'wouldn't be a disaster', but stressed the need for certainty. Theresa May is expected to bring her deal back to the House of Commons for a vote sometime this month.

Featured image: James Cleaver / Epigram

Do you support a People's Vote? Let us know!

Facebook // Epigram // Twitter // Instagram