Roast pepper and tomato soup recipe

January is a month, which following a period of over eating and drinking, many people seem keen to cut down the calories and focus on a healthier diet.

By Olivia Critoph, Deputy Food Editor

January is a month, which following a period of over eating and drinking, many people seem keen to cut down the calories and focus on a healthier diet. However, super low calorie meals often consist of salad leaves and cold veggies, but this is definitely not what I fancy during one of the coldest months of the year! Instead, soups can be a far better alternative to healthy eating.

Roast Pepper and Tomato Soup (serves 3)

What you will need:

• 2 red peppers
  • 6 Tomatoes
  • 1 Red onion
  • 6 cloves of garlic
  • 300ml vegetable stock
  • 2 tablespoons of tomato puree

Optional ingredients:

• Fresh basil
  • Cream of your preference

Method:

1. Firstly heat your oven to 180c, then chop your tomatoes into quarters, de-seed and slice your peppers, cut your onion into slices, and separate your garlic cloves (leaving their skins on). Spread your chopped ingredients onto a baking tray and drizzle some olive oil on them and season with salt and pepper, before putting in the oven for 25 minutes.

2. Just before its time to take your vegetables out the oven, mix together your 300ml of vegetable stock and tomato puree together

3. Once the vegetables are cooked, in a blender mix together your stock and vegetables until smooth and creamy

4. Once smooth, separate into bowls, and drizzle some of your cream on top and garnish with basil leaves.

Photo by rawpixel / Unsplash

Featured image:Unsplash/Heather Ford

Have your say about this article! Email us or comment below!