By Alexia Kirov, Music Editor

The first instalment of our SW Sound series features The Shuks, a four-piece DIY band hailing from Bath.

Who are they?

Jack Lawther (vocals / guitar)
Tom Hunt (guitar)
Ciara Bains (bass)
Katya Pishchick (drums)

Where can you see them next?

07/12/18 @ The Louisiana (Supporting Haze)

T-3
Epigram / Alexia Kirov

The Shuks are a four-piece, DIY band from Bath. Over the past year or so, they have played a number of gigs in both their hometown and Bristol, as well as in the capital.

Having already been tipped by the likes of BBC Introducing, their sound - grungy post-punk brightened by hints of dreamy indie rock - has been steadily spreading to more and more ears.

The band celebrated the release of their most recent single, ‘Running', with a launch at The Lanes, their first headline gig in Bristol. ‘Running’ is self-described by the band as their ‘oldest and most beloved tune’, and closes their 8 track set.

With Hunt's riffs reminiscent of Butler-era Suede, live, it feels even more vitalised than on record. But such a comparison is not to say that The Shuks music is derivative - there is plenty of scope in their sound for them to be band making their own mark.

Despite playing without their usual drummer, Katya Pishchik, The Shuks’ first Bristol headline set was tight. From opening song, ‘Spent’, it was clear that this band have an indefatigable energy about them live. Most of their tracks are as yet unreleased - so, unfortunately, for now, you can’t go and re-listen to all of them when you get home - but if you see The Shuks live, you will find yourself with an enduring wish that they were.

Though The Lanes' stage is small, The Shuks’ presence and the atmosphere they create are much bigger - you will be hearing more from this band in the coming months.

Featured Image: Alexia Kirov

Have you heard The Shuks yet? Listen to 'Running' here.