Prague on a student budget

Fancy visiting Prague this Christmas? Jasmine Norden gives the low down on the top five things to do in the capital on a student budget.

By Jasmine Norden 3rd Year, Psychology

Prague is the ideal city for students; it’s incredibly affordable and has a staggering variety of things to do, which you can attempt to cram into a long weekend depending on your stamina. Although the Czech Republic is still relatively young it has still straddled the divide between Slavic and Western culture and become one of the most popular city destinations in Europe. Ranging from history to nightlife, here’s an (entirely subjective) list of the top five things you cannot miss in Prague.

Prague Castle

No doubt you’ll notice the imposing building rising above the river fairly soon after arriving. Office to the President of the Czech Republic, the castle can be easily reached by bus/tram for those daunted by the hill. There is a range of ticket options available depending on how thoroughly you want to investigate the castle, but the cheapest circuit is more than worth it. If your budget is really tight, you can enter the castle and parts of the Cathedral for free. The highlights include the colossally high gothic towers of St. Vitus Cathedral and its intricate stained-glass windows; the historic old royal palace, from which the entirety of the city can be seen; and Golden Lane, the residence of Czech novelist Franz Kafka in the early 20th century. If you’re there in the summer season, enter through the Royal Garden to avoid the crowds.

Epigram / Jasmine Norden

Vinohrady

Take the metro to Náměstí Míru or Jiřího z Poděbrad (JZP) for one of Prague’s lesser known neighbourhoods and the longest escalator in Europe (if that sort of thing excites you). This is a great area to stay in, especially on a budget. The beauty of Prague’s architecture is no less outside of the Old Town, filled with lines of pastel buildings with ornate window frames. Rising above the elegant buildings in all its Soviet glory is Prague’s TV Tower, proud recipient of second place for the ugliest building in the world in one poll. But it’s more recent decoration by Czech sculptor David Czerny’s large crawling babies, have turned it into an important part of the Prague art scene. This area is also particularly strong for food, with a multitude of independent cafes and regular farmer’s markets throughout the year on the square at JZP. Also, for those not particularly enamoured by regular goulash or pork knuckle, a modern Czech restaurant just off Náměstí Míru, Vinohradsky Parlament, offers a slightly more accessible, though more expensive, take on Czech cuisine.

Old Town

It has to be done, regardless of how ridiculously busy it will be. Struggle your way down Charles Bridge and through Old Town Square at least once. See the Astronomical Clock, which I personally cannot attest to the value of, as it was under repairs both times I was in Prague, but it is apparently the oldest astronomical clock in the world still operating. Get Trdelník, which isn’t a Czech delicacy, though no one seems to have told them because it’s everywhere. Steer well clear of anyone holding a snake because they will try to put it on your shoulder. Take so many photos of every aesthetically pleasing building your camera storage runs out. Get a Pilsner from a bar in Old Town at least once and marvel at the price.

The Jewish Museum

In the Old Town you can also find Josefov, an old Jewish Ghetto that now functions as Prague’s Jewish museum. Again, the cheaper ticket gives you access to plenty of the museum, including multiple Synagogues, the cemetery and the Ceremonial Hall. Though you will miss the Old-New Synagogue, which is the oldest active Synagogue in Europe. The Jewish Museum gives you a fairly in-depth history of Jews in Prague and Bohemia, accompanied by wonderful architecture, especially in the Spanish Synagogue. Particularly sobering is the Pinkas Synagogue, bare of decoration, inhabited only by the thousands of names of Czech Jews who were victims of the Holocaust.

Nightlife

Prague’s nightlife is one of its main draws, and there’s something to suit every kind of mood. Two of the best are Lucerna and Chapeau Rouge. Lucerna is located in the centre, just off Wenceslas Square, and is just the spot for anyone looking for cheese and 80s music. Entry and drinks are reasonable, and its full of both year-abroad students and actual Czech people. For those looking for something slightly more sophisticated, Chapeau Rouge is barely a minute from Old Town Square. The ground floor is a bar, open day and night, and downstairs there’s the Dance Club, occupied by DJ’s of both international and local fame, and the Underground Club, where independent bands play. We were told specifically to avoid the five-storey club, Karlovy Lazne, due to it being overcrowded, but your mileage may vary on this one.

Featured Image: Epigram / Jasmine Norden

Have you visited Prague recently? Let us know!

Instagram // Twitter // Facebook