Review / Black Peaks: All That Divides

'For lovers of the hard rock and math rock scenes, this certainly feels like the standout release of the year', Matt Alderton reviews Black Peaks' new album All That Divides

by Matt Alderton

For the uninitiated, Black Peaks are a four-piece progressive rock band hailing from Brighton and are currently hot stuff on the rock circuit in the UK. Friday 5th October sees the band’s fourth album, All That Divides, released through Rise Records.

rAX6Zpnw

Anticipation has been high following the release of three preceding singles; 'Can’t Sleep', 'Home' and 'Electric Fires'. Much of the record is heavy-hitting melodic rock with math rock influences and lives up to the hype.

Opening track and lead single 'Can’t Sleep' is an immediate standout, intermittently chopping between vocalist Will Gardner’s clean vocals and harsher screams through the verses before Gardner laments his inability to eat, sleep, think or breathe in the anthemic choruses.
Whilst Gardner’s vocal performances throughout the album are the highlight of the record many of the album’s nine (lengthy) tracks feature extended atmospheric instrumental breaks, in some cases they overstretch some of the tracks yet they are a prime moment for some glitzy guitar work and some more varied rhythmic experimentation, particularly on midway mark 'Aether'.

'Across the Great Divide' brings in the latter (and more varied) half of the album through opening with a Jeff Buckley Grace-esque riff before the band descends into a darker atmosphere, fuelled through quiet vs loud playoff. Further highlight tracks 'Eternal Light' and 'Fate I & II' close in the album.

H7Yc5LOQ

The former is a frantic hard rock number with a driving, distorted bassline from Dave Larkin keeping things heavy.
Meanwhile, the latter track is a monster, clocking in at just under seven minutes. 'Fate I & II' displays everything brilliant about the band with imaginative riffs, tight-knit rhythmic backing and exquisite alternation of Gardner’s varying vocal techniques, including a brilliant outing of his surprisingly delicate falsetto.

All said and done, All That Divides isn’t breaking any boundaries, but it certainly doesn’t need to. For lovers of the hard rock and math rock scenes, this certainly feels like the standout release of the year.

If you only have 10 minutes check out: 'Can’t Sleep', 'Across The Great Divide' and 'Fate I & II'. All That Divides is out now.

Featured image: Rise Records / Black Peaks

All other images: Epigram / Matt Alderton

Have you heard All That Divides yet?

Facebook / Epigram Music / Twitter