Online Food Editor Sarah shares her using-everything-up veggie chilli recipe with us: perfect as a winter warmer for chilly February nights.
This recipe was inspired by a Sunday afternoon raid of the fridge / cupboards, hoovering up everything that was about to go off, and creating something out of it. Mix and match as you see fit - whatever veg you have lying around will go in well.
Cooking time: 30 mins / Serves 4
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 peppers (any colour)
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- 1 red chilli
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 carton chopped tomatoes
- 200ml veg stock
- Squirt of tomato puree
- Salt & pepper
- Spoon of honey
- Flour tortillas
- Coat the sweet potato in a splash of oil, spoon of honey, 2 tsps cumin and 2 tsps paprika, as well as a healthy dose of salt & pepper. Roast in the oven for 30 mins or so until cooked.
- Meanwhile, slice the peppers lengthways, and add chopped onion, garlic, finely sliced chilli and peppers to a hot saucepan.
- Cook until slightly softened (5 mins), then add the tomatoes, stock, tomato puree, and another 2 tsps cumin and 2 more tsps paprika.
- Cook for another 5-10 mins, then add the kidney beans, cooking for another 5 mins.
- Chop tortillas up into triangles and bake in the oven until crisp (5-7 minutes), then seaso liberally with salt / pepper.
- Remove sweet potato from the oven and mix into the saucepan, and heat through until it's all well-mixed.
- Serve immediately with the home-made tortilla chips, a dash of grated cheese on top, and guacamole / sour cream if there's any to hand!
Featured image credit: flickr / rory mcharg