Sport2023

Kicking up a storm: The Bristol Rovers Controversy

Bristol Rovers have been under fire regarding the construction of a South stand at the Memorial Stadium last month.

Image Credit - Unsplash / Daniel Norin

Fans are concerned as to the club’s procedural obligations with the construction, such as the lack of communication with local residents, and the absence of planning permission from Bristol City Council.

The Bristol Rovers also confirmed that these seats will not be including disabled or accessible seating for away supporters looking to attend a match at the Memorial Stadium.

On top of backlash from fans, the South Stand project encountered numerous setbacks such as complications with the drainage system and ground tests.

Since then, the Bristol Rovers Football Club has confirmed that the new South Stand will not be ready for use at the start of the season back in August.

CEO of Bristol Rovers, Tom Gorringe, admitted that there were a few aspects the Club could have done better in this ordeal, such as informing local residents earlier.

Despite this, the number of letters sent in to City Hall in support of the South Stand quickly overtook the letters of objection. Despite this, local councillor Cllr Emma Edwards had called in the application, stating that it needed further scrutiny.

The South Stand seats were proposed with the aim of restoring pre-Covid figures back. However, the Rovers will assess the demand for more seats on a match-to-match basis and update local residents accordingly.

On August 12, the Rovers played a home league game with an empty lot in replace of the proposed stand while the Club awaits planning permission from the City Council.

What do you think of the controversy?