In conversation with the Motorsport Society: Why you should give them a go.

In keeping with our theme of promoting as many societies as possible. Epigram met up with the University's Motorsport Society to discuss how they cater to all motorsport interests with the increasing rise of Formula One fanatics.

Image courtesy of the British Universities Karting Championship.

By Felix Glanville, Second year History

With the increasing rise of Formula One fanatics. Epigram met up with the University's Motorsport Society to discuss how they are the perfect society for Motorsport fans of all degrees.

It is no secret that Formula 1’s appeal is ever-growing, thanks to the success of Netflix’s docuseries ‘Drive to Survive’ showcasing the personalities and people behind the bustling sport, prompting fans to discover other motorsport series such as IndyCar, the World Endurance Championship and Rallycross. As such, this keen interest can be met at Bristol Universities’ Motorsport Society that caters all motorsport interests, not just Formula 1.

To show what is on offer for a growing audience of freshly slickened petrol-heads, Epigram interviewed Alex Watson, Bristol’s Motorsport Society president for the current 2024/25 year, and its previous president for 2023/24 Adam Yap, who offered their hopes for the future of the society, what brought them to the society and what has happened across the society previously. Adam illuminates the wealth of activities that have gone on throughout the society, while Alex presents that same desire and passion to continue the growth of the society.

Image courtesy of Adam Yap

The path into the society was very different for Adam and Alex, but both spiralled into success and huge engagement within the society. Adam came into the society for being a relatively long F1 fan since 2018, and as someone who also ‘loves karting recreationally’ and believes that ‘it made perfect sense to join Motorsport Soc looking for others with the same interest’. Adam continued to describe his journey in the society and the brilliant social impacts it had for him later at university: ‘I joined as a fresher and have been active in the three years since. In that time, I have met some of my closest friends and flatmates through the society! I also moved from just having rental kart experience to competing in the British Universities Karting Championship (BUKC), although I am not that fast, and doing track days which would not have been possible if not for the society’.

For Alex, it was freshers fair that ignited this interest. ‘I found the society at the Freshers fair in my first year. Probably a little strange but I barely looked at societies or anything until then, so I basically saw a racing game being played on a sim rig and went over to find what it was about’.

Alex’s journey in the society grew from there, capitalising on the society’s connection to karting championships for university students. Speaking from experience, Alex commented: ‘I just went to the F1 socials, did BUKC testing in my first year (was a complete disaster) but then tried again in my second year and it went a lot better. One thing led to another that year and now I’ve ended up as president in my fourth year, hoping we can really improve this society’.

Adam has had a whole range of roles while in the society, acting as secretary for 2022/23, becoming President in 2023/24 and now for this year as Ethics, Diversity and Inclusion Officer in 2024/25, as Adam notes ‘it’s safe to say I’ve been involved in the committee for some time, where the society now offers more activities and opportunities than it did when I first joined’.

As President last year, Adam explicitly outlined some of the fantastic efforts which have taken place during the 2023/24 year, which he was instrumental in leading. Adam highlighted that ‘As well as hosting regular F1 socials at the White Harte with subsidised food and drink and regular indoor karting at TeamSport recreationally, we worked to publicise and improve the BUKC team from a closed-door group to a larger unified team. We’re just about to finalise merchandise for the upcoming year. We introduced sim-racing as part of the society activities for the first time and entered a partnership with Cenos racing allowing society members subsidised ProKart testing days. We’ve also worked to improve our social media to keep members better informed of what’s going on’. It’s evident that Adam has played a monumental role in expanding what's on offer for members of the motorsport society.

Despite not remaining president for the upcoming year, but still remaining a key committee member, Adam is looking to find sponsorships to bring prices for our activities even further down as he agrees ‘karting is an expensive hobby!’.

Alex finally adds for freshers that

‘if you have an interest in motorsport at all from just watching the occasional race to wanting to kart competitively for the Uni, we should have something for you so come visit us at fresher’s fair and get involved!’

It is clear that there are big ambitions for this society, riding on that wave of media popularity which F1 has experienced in recent years. Adam and Alex illustrate how stuck in you can get in this sports society and the growing community which it has created, especially in competing in the British Universities Karting Championships. It is nothing but full throttle for the motorsport society this year.

Featured images: British Universities Karting Championships
Featured image: Adam Yap