Fishies takes over The Brass Pig and Daisy's in highly anticipated return

Image credit: Unsplash

By Beatrice Learmouth, News Deputy Co-Editor

After nightclub Gravity’s shock closure back in April, student sports night, 'Fishies', has been relocated to The Brass Pig and Daisy’s for the new year. The event will take place on a Wednesday night as before, but will take on a slightly different format from previous years. 

Speaking to Epigram, Fishies organisers confirmed there would be two events, ‘Brass Fish’ at The Brass Pig, and ‘Fishco’ at Daisy’s. ‘Brass Fish’ will be largely similar to the original format in Gravity with the upstairs becoming a silent disco, and downstairs being comparable to Gravity’s main room.

‘Fishco’ will take place across the street at Daisy’s and ‘will be playing disco, cheese and house music.’

When asked about the costs of the night in comparison to previous years, organisers confirmed that ‘the entry and the drinks tariff will be a student tariff that will be the same as before.'

They will also have ‘two dates at SWX per term where all sports teams will come together’ following the success of the SWX show on the 29th of May last year. The first of these will be held on the 25th of September. 

After Gravity’s closure, Fishies was held several times at Lola Lo’s at the end of last term. However, they decided to permanently move its location to The Brass Pig as ‘people love the venue, and it’s in a location very accessible to UOB students.'

This decision has sparked controversy amongst some of the student body, as The Brass Pig is less like a traditional night club, being much smaller than Gravity and resembling a bar.

In their announcement on Instagram, Fishies organisers acknowledged the venue is ‘different from Gravity,' but they were keen to keep the event on the ‘sacred triangle.' 

The inclusion of Daisy’s is likely to dispel some of this criticism as it enables more people to attend the event, and gives students and societies more flexibility.

Daisy’s is a 70s bar that opened back in June and has already gained huge popularity amongst students following nightclub Mbargo’s closure.