Longlegs: The ingenious horror film we've all been waiting for

If you are prepared for a suspenseful horror with a chilling atmosphere and unsettling imagery, then Longlegs is the film for you.

Courtesy of IMDb

By Nadiya Jackson, Fourth Year, Film and TV Sub-Editor

Sat alone in the cinema, I quickly realised what I was getting myself into within the first minute. The rest of the film did not fail in continuing along this intense road, leaving me anxious and unprepared for each jump scare.

The serial killer Longlegs, although unrecognisable behind the makeup, is played by Nicolas Cage. Though it may not be a role we are used to seeing the actor in, he performs well throughout his limited screen time, effectively guided by director Oz Perkins, Cage succeeds in portraying this satanic and diabolical character. Nevertheless, the real prize can be given to the film's makeup artists and its cinematography, namely its brilliant camera angles which perfectly create a sense of unease. At the beginning, we are briefly shown a glimpse of our serial killer, with a doll-like pale face of makeup and balding straw-like grey hair, the mask looks like an attempt to cover bumps and bruises and creates a ghostly and unpleasant sight. However, most of the film is shot using cunning camera angles which further obscure Cage's face, hiding behind this mask helps to build an unsettling feeling. Of course, this feeling is only heightened when his character is fully revealed. Longleg's lifestyle portrays a man with a demonic poetry obsession and an odd enthusiasm for the band T.Rex (an illogical pairing that almost makes him seem normal) as well as a preoccupation with worshipping the Devil.

Courtesy of IMDb

This truly fearsome, yet eccentric, character appears to have some past connection with our protagonist, FBI Agent Lee Harker played by Maika Monroe, who is assigned the case of solving the mysterious and cruel family murders appearing to be committed by Longlegs. The film begins with an almost supernatural nature as Harker uses her gifted intuition to investigate this puzzling and irrational case. The disturbing experience is heightened by apprehensive scenes of Harker fearful of being watched or followed. Before we get to know Longlegs, his character seems somewhat inhuman as if Harker is being scrutinized by an evil but genius spirit. Placing the actors in the middle of the shot keeps our eyes locked to what might emerge behind them. Alongside a daunting score and brilliantly timed sound effects, we are immediately on edge and afraid for Harker. 

The film keeps us on our toes as we are constantly asking questions. Even the protagonist’s daily life remains unknown. What we do know is minimal, she lives a closed-off life compounded by her neurodivergence. She has few friendships and an ambiguous relationship with her mum, but she remains an enigma. Although, Monroe's acting did not stand out to me and bordered on cringey, she still managed to depicts Harker's braininess and troubled past effectively, which helped to actualise her character's lonesome life and career choice as an FBI agent. Both main characters’ lives seem complex and the film creates an almost riddle-like narrative as to how they could be connected, which helps in establishing a psychologically disturbing narrative.

What did you think of Longlegs?