Sport2023

Exciting collaboration between Bristol Bears Rugby Club and UBWRFC for students

The announcement of the partnership between Bristol Bears and Bristol University Women’s very own Rugby club (UBWRFC) will allow passionate female rugby players to enhance their progress on the pitch, whilst remaining a student at Bristol University.

Featured Image: Unsplash

By Lottie Leigh, News Reporter

Bristol Bears, the local professional rugby club in Bristol founded in 1888, and the most prominent rugby club in Bristol have decided to link arms with Bristol University for the first time.

This is to provide more students with opportunities to play this sport.

The partnership entails sharing different resources, from practice and coaching to using the same facilities as Bristol Bears. This is a way of potentially recruiting aspiring and talented rugby players whilst at the same time being a student at Bristol University.

Indeed, previous students who are now current Bears players have gone through this program including Simi Pam, Phoebe Murray, Jenny Herring and Ella Loviband.

This strategic partnership will allow students to broaden their horizons in sport by allowing them to increase their appetite for rugby, whilst maintaining a healthy work-life balance.

Matt Birchall the Director of Sport, Exercise and Health at Bristol University commented: ‘We have a great record of supporting academic success alongside sporting excellence and we look forward to seeing more players benefit from this amazing opportunity’.

Are you interested in joining a sports society this year?