Bristol tops league table thanks to pricey gym

Students are often complaining about the price of sport at Bristol University. Online Editor Hannah Price investigates how much you really are paying compared to other institutions around the country.

Bristol is the second most expensive gym for peak access out of the 25 universities compared.

Out of the top 25 universities on the Complete University Guide (CUG) Epigram found that the University of Bristol is the second most expensive for peak gym access behind the University of East Anglia. The comparison of these different institutions also showed Bristol to be one of the most expensive for overall fitness facilities.

Last year saw the implementation of a new sports membership system. Students that want access to the gym and pool at any time, as well as participation in club sessions and BUSCS, can purchase the Active Plus pass (£290). The Active Gym (£185) and Active Swim memberships (£150), gives students access to the gym at off peak times and the full access to the pool.

The most significant change was the introduction of a Get Active Pass (£50) for those wishing to participate in some form of sport, from casual participation to BUCS sport. Which, for the first ever, meant that those wishing to join a sports team didn't have to purchase the equivalent of an Active Plus pass.

‘I go to a gym really far away now because for the same price as the off peak membership I can go at all hours’
Nationally, apart from the few institutions that take this price out of the students’ fees directly, Bristol offers one of the cheapest ways to participate in sports teams.

However, the changes to the other memberships offered divided student opinion due to lack of peak access to only the gym or the pool.

Anna Lezard, a third year student explained why she is not a member, ‘I go to a gym really far away now because, for the same price as the off peak membership, I can go at all hours’.

Epigram compared the price of Bristol's facilities of that of 25 other institutions nationwide. Overall, Bristol came out as very expensive; due to their lack of alternatives to the Active Plus pass for peak gym membership. For students wanting peak access to the gym and swimming pool Bristol came fourth out of the 25 universities compared.

Locally, our varsity rivals, the University of West England, only pay £180 per year for peak gym access.

Oxford University who is often criticised for being elitist, offers swim and gym access for £188 at peak times. Many universities, like Oxford and Cambridge, also offer a reduction in price for an Academic Year, making it more affordable for those who only reside within that area during term time.

Loughborough University, who are renowned for their state of the art facilities, offer membership to their fitness centre (fitness suite and swimming pool) to students for three years for only £70 more than the price of just one year at Bristol.

Surprisingly, all of the four universities within London that Epigram reviewed offer cheaper gym access to their students - with Imperial College London, providing the cheapest gym facilities of the Top 25 Universities in the CUG due to their facilities being free to all their students.

Universities such as Southampton, Sussex, St Andrews, Durham and Manchester offer peak gym membership for a cheaper rate than Bristol’s Active Gym pass, which only allows users to enter before 3pm on weekdays.

When asked on his views on Epigram's findings, Sport and Student Development Officer, John House commented,

'It's worth saying that whilst the Get Active pass is a wonderful improvement to the price of sport, it is by no means the finished article. We need to continue to work to make Bristol sport more accessible and better priced for all...
The cost is big but we do have a big offer which is what I think people forget, you can to hundreds of classes etc, having said that I think the variety of pass is still not there.'

The majority of institutions also offer additional facilities, such as a climbing wall. In a few cases their memberships even cover luxuries like steam and sauna rooms. However, it is important to note that some universities do not offer any swimming options.

Matt Birch, Director of Sport Exercise and Health at the University said, ‘We’re continuing to work on improving our offer to all students, and are really pleased that access to sport and physical activity is considered so important… What we have worked hard to do, in partnership with the SU particularly, is broaden our offer and increase flexibility… In addition to this the university has frozen all membership prices for the last two years - and dropped the price of Active Swim, as well as re-introducing pay-as-you-go swimming...

'We have also this year started a major programme of free-of-charge activity in University Halls of Residence, the ‘Active Residences’ scheme, which offers over 3,000 students a regular programme of classes as part of their accommodation fees.

'A £3m investment in new facilities at Coombe Dingle will be completed next month, and we are currently planning a major piece of work at the Indoor Sports Centre as part of the Clifton Campus project.

'Overall we’re confident that our offer is strong. Yes, peak-time access to a very popular gym facility has a cost attached, and this is only one way in which students engage in sport and health.'

Featured image: Bristol University, Sport Exercise and Health: Indoor Sports Centre

Are you unsatisfied by the university's sport facilities? Let us know your thoughts below or via social media.