Students left in limbo: Accessing a GP through the University of Bristol

Gal Khalif explores the impact of long GP waiting times on Bristol students and considers possible solutions to alleviate these challenges.

By Gal Khalif, Second Year, Law

Moving to a new city for university can be both exciting and overwhelming, particularly when it comes to practical matters such as healthcare. For many students, the transition involves registering with a new GP, and while university health centres are generally equipped to cater to student needs, booking appointments has become an increasingly challenging process.

At the University of Bristol, students have reported facing difficulties in securing GP appointments, a trend that reflects wider concerns in the UK about the strain on the NHS. This article explores the impact of long waiting times and delays on UoB students, especially those seeking mental health support, and considers possible solutions to alleviate these challenges.

The University of Bristol has a large student population, many of whom rely on the Student Health Service (SHS) for their medical needs. However, the demand for GP appointments has surged in recent years, exacerbated by the pandemic and a growing awareness of mental health issues. According to NHS Digital, the number of GP appointments in England increased by over 10 million between 2021 and 2023. However, the number of available GPs has not risen to meet this demand despite promises of an increase in GPs given to the British Medical Association. This trend is echoed in Bristol, where students have reported longer waiting times to see their GPs.

For students, timely access to healthcare is crucial, not just for physical ailments but also for mental health support. Within university life, academic pressures, extenuating circumstances and financial worries will naturally contribute to deteriorating mental health within the student body. Yet, many students report that booking a GP appointment at Bristol, and other national universities, can take several weeks, leaving many feeling neglected and without the support they need.

The mental health crisis among students has been well-documented. A 2022 survey conducted by Student Minds found that 57% of students reported having mental health issues, a much higher rate than what is disclosed to their institutions, with many struggling to access the support they need. The situation at Bristol is no different; with students increasingly reporting feeling anxious, depressed, or isolated but unable to secure timely GP appointments to seek help. Epigram spoke to two current students to hear their thoughts on what should be changed and their experiences.

In an interview with Epigram, one Bristol student described their experience trying to get an ADHD and Autism diagnosis through the university’s health services. They explained that the process was frustratingly slow, with delays in obtaining an official diagnosis significantly impacting their academic experience. ‘The main thing I'd say is that my diagnosis will have an impact on my academic stuff, but they can't give me an official letter to give to the university until they've processed the report, which can take up to 8 weeks. That's obviously frustrating because the process started in March or April, and I would have liked to have it finalised before second year started’, they explained.

'I'm not alone in this feeling, I know other students at our university who feel like [...] they have not official leg to stand on'

Such delays are not only inconvenient but leave students in limbo, particularly when they require adjustments to their academic workload or access to mental health services. ‘Considering it's student health, I feel like that should have been taken into account,’ the student added. ‘Now I'm in this weird grey area where they say I'm autistic but can't tell me officially yet. I've had no support, which isn't great because it's a bit confusing not knowing how to deal with certain things.’

This sense of being in a ‘grey area’ is not uncommon among students who are awaiting diagnosis or treatment. The second student Epigram had spoken to said whilst she understood the reasoning behind the delays, she believed ‘Perhaps the solution is an independent health body working on campus that fast tracks serious issues that will inevitably impact on a student’s studies, such as learning or developmental disorders.’

‘I’m not alone in this feeling, I know other students at our university who feel like they may not get the grades they need as they are unable to apply for aid during assessment seasons as they have no official leg to stand on.’

Mental health issues require swift intervention, but when students face these delays, their conditions can worsen, inevitably impacting their studies and overall well-being. The difficulties Bristol students face in accessing GP appointments are symptomatic of a wider issue in the NHS: there are simply not enough GPs to meet the growing demand for services. Nationally, the government has pledged to increase GP numbers, but progress has been slow. In the meantime, it is down to universities and local NHS services to find ways to better support their students. 

One possible solution is increased funding for university health services. By allocating more resources to student-specific health centres, universities could hire more GPs and mental health professionals, thereby reducing waiting times for appointments. Additionally, universities could collaborate more closely with local NHS services to ensure that students can access care when the university health centre is fully booked.

Another option is the use of digital healthcare solutions. Many students have expressed interest in accessing GP services remotely, through video consultations or phone appointments. The majority of the appointments given by the university health service are face-to-face. Digital healthcare has expanded rapidly in recent years, and incorporating these options into university health services could help alleviate the pressure on in-person appointments. The NHS has already introduced digital GP services in many areas, and expanding this to university settings could provide students with faster access to healthcare.

Furthermore, universities should consider offering more mental health resources that do not require GP referrals. At Bristol, for example, the Wellbeing Access Service provides students with mental health support without the need for an appointment, but awareness of such services remains low. Expanding the range of services and promoting them more effectively could help ensure that students receive timely care without overwhelming GP services.

'I think they need to listen more': Are UoB's mental health services fit for purpose?'
'The hidden fight: Coping with learning disabilities at the University of Bristol'

Accessing a GP as a student can be daunting, especially when moving to a new city. For Bristol students, the experience of booking GP appointments has become increasingly frustrating due to rising demand and limited availability. The impact on students' mental health is profound, with long waiting times for appointments and diagnoses often leaving students without the support they need.

However, there are potential solutions. Increased funding for university health centres, the expansion of digital healthcare options, and better promotion of mental health services could help alleviate the pressure on GPs and ensure that students receive timely care. As the university community continues to grow, addressing these healthcare challenges will be essential to supporting the well-being of Bristol students.

Featured Image: Epigram / Harriet Sanderson

Have you found it difficult to access GP services in Bristol?