A glimpse into Art society for the upcoming year

Life Drawing Sketch. Photo credit to uob_artsoc Instagram.

By Bobbi Carsley, Third Year, English Literature

Art society is one of Bristol’s most popular student societies. It has earned its reputation amongst students for hosting some of the most creative socials and best themed formals.

I got the low down from art society's own Alana Levi, a current co-President, on what exactly art society can offer for incoming freshers and returning students this new academic year. 

Life drawing sessions will continue to be held twice a week. Speaking to Alana, these sessions provide ‘a space to experiment with different medias and learn how to draw bodies in a calming, non-judgemental space full of like-minded people’.

Stick-men drawers and aspiring Michaelangelos are all welcome. Any student is invited to both step in front of as well as behind the canvas.

A post shared by University of Bristol Art Society (@uob_artsoc)

Collaborations with other societies, such as Bollywood dance and Cheerleading, will provide an array of models in the studio who will give students some diverse forms of movement to capture.

In addition to their art sessions, the society's ‘drink-and-draw’ socials are super casual and loads of fun. Anyone can drop in as the society gets together in pubs gardens and bougie bars.

Art materials are supplied so you can sip and paint, sketch and chat, and above all drink and draw. 

Discussions are also currently in the works about potentially starting an arts magazine where people can submit art to be featured as well as articles documenting society events.

Be sure to check out their Instagram, and stall at the Freshers' fair.