Applications are still open for some roles on the 23/24 editorial team, which will take Epigram into its 35th year. Being on the Epigram editorial team is a fun and rewarding experience — it is a great opportunity to meet new people with similar interests, gain experience and write outside of your degree.
If you are worried about not having the right experience to be on the team, do not worry! Full training will be provided to all successful candidates and we encourage anyone who is interested to apply — regardless of their background or experience, including new students this year.
Many Epigram alumni have gone on to work for major national newspapers, such as the BBC, Sky News and The Times. If you are interested in journalism or simply just enjoy writing, there is no doubt that being on the Epigram team is a great thing to add to your CV.
There are several roles available, which are listed below. If you would like to apply, please fill in the application form, which can be found here. Applications close at 11:59.59 on Friday 29th September 2023.
Science & Tech
Both Bristol as a city and UoB are global research leaders. This means that there are plenty of science and technology stories, breakthroughs, and entrepreneurial successes. The SciTech section should concisely relay this exciting information to the general student body, with an accessible and accurate approach.
- You will be in charge of creating digital content for SciTech, both on the Epigram site and across the relevant social media platforms. This will primarily involve the section’s Instagram account, but may also involve producing videos, graphics and other interactive content for the SciTech section where required. No prior experience is needed, just a keenness to learn!
- You will be required to assist where needed with editing and publishing articles, as well as the lay-up.
The main aim of the Sport section is to cover the most important stories of the student sports community: the results, the team successes, individual awards, community engagement, and professional progression. This will entail coverage of the current student opinions on the sporting world and there’s also a wider scope to tell the stories of UoB alumni or local Bristol teams that are competing at the highest level.
- You will be responsible and accountable for the Sport section of Epigram and managing your individual team. You will be in charge of the overall vision for the section both in print and online, and will work closely with the Senior Team to create the monthly newspaper.
- You will lead your team in covering sporting events in-person and talk to athletes in order to create student-specific content. The role will also require organising and maintaining relationships with the University’s sports teams.
- You will be responsible for helping the Sport Editor produce the monthly editions in print, and assist with online coverage.
- You will be in charge of creating digital content for the Sport section, both on the Epigram site and across the relevant social media platforms. This will primarily involve the section’s Instagram account, but may also involve producing videos, graphics and other interactive content for the Sport section where required. No prior experience is needed, just a keenness to learn!
- You will be responsible for ensuring there is consistent photograph coverage for sporting events.
- You will be regularly provided with articles throughout the year to proof-read and edit, as well as the final lay-up prior to print each month. Your role is to ensure that all articles meet a high standard of grammar, punctuation and style.
- You will assist subeditors when needed to help edit articles from their sections.
- This role may be attractive for anyone who is interested in working in publishing or copy-editing.
Will you be applying for any Epigram vacancies?