UOB alumna Hannah Mills becomes the most successful female sailor in Olympic history

Bristol alumna, Hannah Mills, has become the most successful female GB olympic sailor in history.

By Holly Beaumont, Co-Editor-In-Chief

Hannah Mills, MBE, and her sailing partner, Eilidh McIntrye, have won Gold for Team GB in the womens 470. This makes history for Mills as the most successful female Olympic sailor to date.

Mills studied Mechanical Engineering at the University of Bristol before going on to update history books.

Mills and McTintyre clinched the final sailing medal in Tokyo, meaning that Team GB finish the games with 5 sailing medals, 3 of which are gold.

At 24, Mills' Olympic career began in the London 2012 Games. She was a flag-bearer for team GB in the opening ceremony and won a silver medal in the women's 470 class. She then went onto win gold at Rio 2016.

Now, 33, Mills said that she and her partner, McIntyre, were 'feeling sick with nerves' ahead of the final race.

Due to the pair's previous performances they went into the final medal race with a 14-point lead. They remained in 2nd place for much of the medal race, dropping to 5th after rounding the last bouy.  

Despite crossing the finish-line in 5th place, their record of top 3 finishes in 7 of the 10 races, meant that they took 1st place overall.

Featured Image: British Sailing Team

Are you watching Tokyo 2020?