First rainbow crossing in Bristol unveiled to mark Pride month

To mark the beginning of Bristol Pride month, a rainbow Pride flag is being unveiled on a crossing at Wine Street.

By Holly Beaumont, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Bristol Pride month this year will take place over the month of July. To mark its beginning, Bristol is displaying the Pride Progress flag on a crossing at Wine Street.

The crossing will display the Pride Progress flag, which includes the rainbow colours, as well as a chevron to mark Trans people, LGBT+ people of colour, those living with HIV/AIDS and those we have lost to it.

Bristol Mayor Marvin Rees has shown his support of the crossing.

‘Bristol is a city that prides itself on its inclusivity, so I’m very pleased to announce that we’ve decided to mark the start of Pride month this July with a tribute to the LGBT+ community,’ he said.

Prior to his re-election in May, Rees said that if he were to be re-elected as mayor he would be ‘committed to championing the LGBT+ community in Bristol.

‘We’ll work with LGBT+ groups to champion their cause and interests and work with schools, the NHS, the police, and other groups to ensure Bristol is a safe space for LGBT+ people,’ he added.

Bristol Pride's Daryn Carter MBE said ‘We are so excited to be getting a rainbow crossing here in Bristol.

‘This crossing will be a positive, unmissable beacon for Bristol as Pride returns to the city, and will be a visible reminder to celebrate diversity in all forms.

‘Not only will this resonate with the local community, but also send a positive message to visitors as we all keep striving towards creating a better society,’ he added.

Featured Image: Epigram / Billy Stockwell

Will you be visiting the crossing at Wine Street?