University of Bristol offering summer research internships to students

The University’s Widening Participation (WP) Research Summer Internships provide students from underrepresented groups the opportunity to gain hands-on research experience.

Epigram News Team

Undergraduate students can apply to assist Bristol academics over the summer with their research projects, developing their practical research skills in the process.

Projects are running from 11 of the University’s departments including Music, Law, Palaeontology and Biological Sciences.

The summer research internships are part of the University’s widening participation efforts to offer opportunities to students from underrepresented backgrounds. The WP internships are aimed at students who might be considering a career in research, or simply wish to gain research experience.

All student interns will be paid £9.50 an hour and whilst any student currently in the middle year or years of their degree can apply, where a project is oversubscribed, precedence will be given to students from underrepresented groups.

There is a broad range of important and relevant projects being worked on, which include:

• Towards greener fashion (luxury) brands
  • Using Google Trends data for health research during a pandemic. What are the challenges?
  • Status and rights of LGBT families in England and Wales
  • The 'Fifth Element' in Hip-hop Music
  • How do vertebrate brains differ?
  • The A-Z of Secrecy and Ignorance

In the light of the issues brought to the fore by events of the last year one of the projects students can intern on is Decolonising the curriculum: The Ideal SPAIS Project. The brief for this project states that it ‘will develop a written report that centres the student perspective of what an ideal decolonised undergraduate politics and sociology curriculum and university experience would look like.’

The Computer Science department is also offering students the opportunity to intern on a placement to engage with ‘with ongoing research using the Bristol Cyber Security Group CNI testbed.’ Students will be able to ‘gain a critical insight into current academic research in the field of cyber security.’

Bristol SU unveils its new spaces inside Senate House

Lecturers reject their teaching prize nominations in protest against Bristol University’s handling of rent strike

Speaking about the summer internships Alex O'Driscoll, Student Inclusion Manager at the University of Bristol, said: ‘Over the six-week internship students will take part in sessions that improve their research skills, which could be a valuable asset for anyone thinking of moving on to postgraduate research.

‘It’s also a great way to really get to grips with an interesting topic, meet new people and add some experience to your CV.’

University of Bristol offers 100 fully-funded internships to businesses

More information about the University’s WP Research Summer Internships and the full list of projects on offer can be found HERE.

Applications for the internships close at midnight BST (GMT+1) on Monday 24 May 2021.

Featured Image: Epigram / Cameron Scheijde

Will you be applying for the summer research internships?