1000 participants sign up for 10k Run Series

Almost 1000 participants have signed up to the University of Bristol’s virtual 10-kilometre race from the 8-16 May as part of its charity Run Series.

By Conor O'Sullivan, Third Year Ancient History

Due to Covid-19 restrictions, this is the second of three virtual events but a high turn-out is still expected. Runners will chart their own 10K course using the running app Strava, before sending a record of their race time to the University of Bristol.

The run series is in support of both Healthy Minds and NHS Charities Together, with medals and #WeAreBristol performance T-shirts available for purchase at £2.75 and £6 respectively. These can be found during the sign-up process, where there is also an option to donate to the two charities.

Not only is the run series for a good cause, it encourages participants to stay fit and have fun, whilst also providing an opportunity for runners to recapture some competitive excitement.

Matt Birch, the University’s Director of Sport Exercise and Health said: ‘The Bristol Run Series is a chance for any and all to have a go at a fun, safe and pressure-free running event.’

The first event in the Bristol Run Series was a 5k run held in March. Most of the entrants completed the distance in Bristol, but SU Sports and Student Development Officer Rushab Shab even took part from Nairobi, Kenya.

The Bristol Run Series finale, a half marathon, takes place between the 18-26 September 2021. Free training plans and expert advice are also available on the University of Bristol website for anyone wanting to get involved.

Featured Image: University of Bristol

Are you one of the 1000 participants?