Bristol student wins £10,000 in Santander’s self-development programme

Casmir Obasi beat 1,000 students across the UK to win the £10,000 prize amount.

By Roya Shahidi, News Reporter

Casmir Obasi beat 1,000 students across the UK to win the prize amount.

A third-year Economics and Finance student at the University of Bristol, Casmir Obasi won £10,000 after competing in Santander’s Universities Student Online Self-Development Programme.

Nineteen University of Bristol students participated in the programme, which was partnered with Sporting Edge, a consultancy that improves personal performance using insights and psychology.

The programme gave students the opportunity to develop themselves using online tools. This included having access to inspirational videos from celebrities such as Frank Lampard and Mo Farah.

Taking part in the Programme, Bristol Uni student Casmir won one of the four cash-winning spots.

He said: ‘I applied for the programme as I thought it would be a good opportunity to develop my soft skills and boost employability.

‘The Career Service offers so many opportunities, such as Bristol PLUS Award and Bristol Mentors, which have really helped me, so I knew this would be a good opportunity.’

‘We were guided along the process well and we were given lessons and quizzes on important topics relevant to employability and a growth mindset.’

Casmir aims to secure a graduate job in finance after finishing his studies at Bristol.

Compensation for the ‘Class of Covid:’ Bristol SU launches its Fee Justice Campaign
‘Fundamentally, dyslexia made me who I am today:’ Student who could not read until aged 13 graduates from Bristol Uni with first class honours

Matt Hutnell, Director of Santander Universities UK, congratulated Casmir, as well as others who took part in the programme.

He stated: ‘I hope you’ve enjoyed the insights provided through the programme and that you look forward to implementing your learnings throughout your future studies.’

The Founder of Sporting Edge, Jeremy Snape, also added: ‘We have been thrilled to read so much positive feedback and hear how the content has inspired and been a useful support during these challenging times.’

‘Our central goal as a business is to help people manage their pressures and set future goals so it has been amazing to hear so many students bring that to life so powerfully in their feedback.’

Featured Image: University of Bristol

What do you think of Bristol student Casmir's achievement?