Bristol SU launches research into consent culture and sexual harassment at UoB

Bristol Students' Union have today launched a survey to start a new research project into consent culture and sexual harassment at the University of Bristol.

By Eve Bentley-Hussey, SU Correspondent

Bristol StudentsUnion have today launched a survey to start a new research project into consent culture and sexual harassment at the University of Bristol.

The consent campaign launching today is called ‘No Means No: Consent Culture and Sexual Harassment’ and has been commissioned by Bristol SU's current Equality, Liberation and Access Officer, Jason Palmer.

Bristol SU's campaign involves a survey aimed to contribute to further research into consent culture and sexual harassment at the University.

Findings from Bristol SU Sex and Relationships Survey 2018 | Bristol SU

The new research aims to:

·       Help understand consent culture on campus
·       Help improve the support available to students who have experienced sexual violence
·       Help improve wellbeing support for students who have experienced sexual violence
·       Inform our approach to sex and consent education at Bristol

The research follows on from Bristol SU’s Let's Talk About Sex survey in 2018, which established 52% of students had experienced sexual harassment while studying at the University of Bristol.

The SU's anonymous survey launched today can be filled in online at bristolsu.org.uk/consentsurvey.

The survey will run from 15/02/2021 until 01/03/2021, with further research due to take place later this term.

Bristol SU election nominations now open
University of Bristol Ski trip cancelled for a second year amid continuing COVID-19 pandemic

The ‘No Means No’ campaign was passed as a motion at the November Students’ Council meeting.

SU Officer Jason Palmer, commissioning the research, has listed violence and harassment reporting and support as one of his main priorities for this academic year, stating: ‘Year on year we hear about students that have experienced sexual harassment and sexual assault on our campus, in our halls and in the city.

‘This research aims to centre the voices of those who have experienced sexual misconduct, to build a strong culture of consent and make sure the University of Bristol is providing adequate reporting avenues and support for victims.’

A report of the research findings from the survey will be shared on the SU website as well as being shared with the University of Bristol's Student Experience Committee and the Joint Forum Against Sexual Violence and Harassment.

Featured Image: The University of Bristol’s Students’ Union

Will you be completing Bristol SU's survey as part of the No Means No campaign?

Could not load content Could not load content