Bristol University to roll out mass testing by 30 November as it releases dates for online learning

The University of Bristol have said it plans to implement mass testing among students from 30 November, in an effort to safely return students home during the student travel window.

By Epigram News Team

In an email sent to students today, Pro Vice-Chancellor for Student Experience, Professor Sarah Purdy, wrote that the University is still ‘working on the details,’ but is ‘among several universities being offered the opportunity to support a mass testing programme.’

To implement the mass testing, the University intends to work with the Department for Education, Public Health England and Bristol City Council.

Additionally, the University have also confirmed the dates when faculties will be moving teaching online, as part of arrangements for the student travel window between 3-9 December.

The list of dates for faculties is as follows:

Faculty of Arts: 4 December

With the exception of Theatre, which will have on-campus teaching between 4 to 8 December on practical units only.

Faculty of Engineering: 4 December

Faculty of Health Sciences: 9 December (undergraduate courses)

With the exceptions of the School of Anatomy, which will move online on Friday 4 December, and Orthopaedic surgery, which will finish on Friday 27 November.

Clinical placements for both medical and dental students, as well as for veterinary and veterinary nursing students, will finish at the end of term. For dental students, this includes clinical skills teaching for dental students which takes place in the Dental Hospital.

For Postgraduate courses, these will finish on either 2, 3 or 9 December, with individual schools confirming the last day of in-person teaching with pupils directly.

Faculty of Life Sciences: 4 December

With the exceptions of Psychology, which will finish on Wednesday 2 December, and Cellular and Molecular Medicine, which will finish on Wednesday 9 December.

Faculty of Sciences: 2 December

With the exceptions of the following Earth Sciences (9 December), Geography undergraduate courses, Maths and Physics undergraduate courses (all 4 December).

The following second year Chemistry courses will have in-person teaching until 3 December:

• Chemistry: year 2 of the following courses which all have essential face-to-face component (lab) until Thursday 3 December
  • Chemistry (BSc)
  • Chemistry (MSci)
  • Chemistry with Study in Continental Europe
  • Chemistry with Industrial Experience
  • Chemistry with Study Abroad

Faculty of Social Sciences and Law

Accounting and Finance: Friday 4 December (undergraduate courses); Wednesday 9 December (postgraduate courses)

Economics: Friday 4 December

Education: Friday 4 December
PGCE students have placements until Friday 18 December

Law: Friday 4 December
Some units will move online only from Monday 30 November, depending on the scheduled rota of teaching.

Management: Friday 4 December (undergraduate courses); Wednesday 9 December (postgraduate courses)

Sociology, Politics and International Studies: Wednesday 2 December

Policy Studies: Friday 4 December (undergraduate courses); Tuesday 8 December (postgraduate courses)

Social Work students currently on placement will continue as planned.

Featured Image: Epigram / Lucy O'Neill

What do you think about the decision to mass test students? Let us know.