Bristol dance groups hosting charity danceathon

Five dance societies from the University of Bristol are set to host a danceathon in aid of charity this Sunday, 26 July. From 10am to 6pm, sessions will be run throughout the day by the Modern Jive, Salsa, Swing, Bachata, and Bollywood groups.

By Eddie McAteer, Sports Editor, and James Dowden, Deputy Editor

As well as raising money for two worthy causes – NHS Charities Together and Bristol Black Carers – the danceathon aims to give participants a flavour of different styles of dance on offer at the University.

NHS Charities Together is an organisation which seeks to support staff, volunteers and patients in the National Health Service, while Bristol Black Carers is a local charity helping to provide support for Black and Asian carers in Bristol.

Both charities have been significantly affected by the coronavirus pandemic and all funds raised will go directly to helping some of the most vulnerable members of our community.

The full day’s programme is available to anyone, including beginners, and will cost £5 to participate in via Zoom.

Participants will be able to take part in individual sessions led by professional dance teachers and choreographers as well as a wellbeing workout during the afternoon.

The president of the University of Bristol Student Union’s Modern Jive Society, Mauro Camara Escudero, has said: ‘It’s great that five groups of different styles are collaborating together to share their love of different types of dance’.

‘All members of the groups will be learning from each other and, being online, it doesn’t matter whereabouts you are – everyone will be able to join in and learn, too.’

The full schedule of the day is as follows:

10:00 – 10:45: Modern Jive

11:00 – 11:45: Bachata

13:00 – 13:45: Salsa

14:00 – 14:45: Swing

15:00 – 15:45: Wellbeing Workout

16:00 – 16:45: Bollywood

17:00 – 17:45: Modern Jive Lead Styling

The day will have participants moving in dance styles from all over the world, including the UK (Jive), Dominican Republic (Bachata), America (Swing) and India (Bollywood).

Rosalind Tait, secretary of the Modern Jive Society says: ‘tickets are priced at only £5 each but, of course, more generous donations are welcome. We think that for more than four hours of professional teaching, this represents great value for money, as well as being a fun way to raise money for two extremely worthwhile charities.’

There is still time to purchase a ticket and participants will receive an email with confirmation of their place.

Tickets are available to purchase from the University of Bristol Student Union website by clicking here.

Featured: Jodi Hunt - @jodihuntt

Fancy taking part in Sunday’s danceathon?