New halls to be built on site of former Bristol Royal Infirmary

The student housing developer, Unite, is set to receive approval to convert the former Georgian hospital building into 62 flats (416 beds), 20% of which will be affordable.

By Maggie Sawant, Students' Union Correspondent

This follows the University's decision to offer students accommodation in Newport last year, as a result of a lack of affordable housing in Bristol.

The student housing developer, Unite, is set to receive approval to convert the former Georgian hospital building into 62 flats (416 beds), 20 percent of which will be affordable.

The project is due to be ready to house students by the start of the 2021-2022 academic year.

The development of the BRI represents part of a partnership between Unite and the University, which aims to produce 3000 more beds for University of Bristol students.

Richard Smith, Chief Executive of Unite Students, said that the redevelopment 'creates new supply in a city centre location where there is an acute shortage of high quality, affordable student accommodation.'

Simon Bray, director of campus operations at the University of Bristol, stated that the University's priority is ensuring that all students 'have access to accommodation which provides them with real value for money.'

Omar Suleiman, a second year Computer Science student, told Epigram: 'It's really good that they are building new accommodation in such a central location, particularly because there is such a shortage of affordable accommodation in Bristol.'

This comes following a report by the Tab that the University is due to expand by 1000 places next year.

Featured image: Epigram / Maggie Sawant

Do you think transforming the old BRI into new halls is a good idea? Is it enough to ensure that all students are able to access accommodation?