Fresh off the coat: Outerwear trends for 2019

With autumn in full swing and winter soon upon us, it is time to think about what outerwear pieces to invest in - the trends this season definitely will not disappoint

By Morgan Collins, First Year French and Spanish

The Croft Magazine // With autumn in full swing and winter soon upon us, it is time to think about what outerwear pieces to invest in - the trends this season definitely will not disappoint.

Shearling Aviator Jackets

This timeless piece has had a resurgence! When buying your aviator for the season think about length. The best length sits just below the waist and not above it to minimise the volume around your top half. The best colours to invest in are certainly browns or tans. Yes, there could be an argument for black, however browns will bring out the colour of the shearling lining more and be more apt for autumn. Luckily aviators are an easy piece to style because of their neutrality, for a chic look layer a chunky roll neck underneath with a pair of skinny jeans and a square-toed boot. For men, shearling aviators look best with graphic t-shirts, straight leg jeans and black high-top Converse. If blessed with an unlimited budget All Saints do the best shearling jacket, but if you haven’t got £700 lying around the high street have some great alternatives.

Shackets

The shirt jacket a.k.a. the shacket has really made the rounds this year from catwalk shows to high-street rails with plaid being the preferred design. This versatile piece is an essential in your autumn wardrobe with its ability to be dressed both up and down. For a cool 90s vibe: Wear you shacket with a band t-shirt, wide leg jeans and a pair of Docs, or if you’re into a more timeless aesthetic pick a neutral colour shacket and tie it in at the waist, wear straight leg trousers and trainers and you’re good to go!

Puffers

This season womenswear seems to be moving away from puffer jacket whereas menswear designers seem to still be big on the trend. Because puffer jackets have been a trend for the last few seasons, the way to keep them fresh is to experiment with print, length and texture. Try turning your puffer jacket into a statement piece rather than a wardrobe staple, with Pull & Bear offering a great cheetah print puffer for men and North Face experimenting with mesh, there are countless options to reinvent a classic.

Autumn/Winter is the perfect time to experiment and have fun with outerwear and be sure to check out the edit of my favourite pieces this season.

*Featured: Unsplash / Joel Mott *