Five arrests made in student assault case

Those arrested are currently in police custody facing questioning.

By James Cleaver, Online News Editor

Avon and Somerset Constabulary have made five arrests in connection with a robbery that saw a University of Bristol student hospitalised.

In a statement, the police force announced: 'Five people have been arrested in connection with a robbery that took place in Nelson St in Bristol on Sunday. The victim, a 19-year-old man, suffered a serious stab wound during the robbery.

'Three boys, two aged 15 and the other aged 16 and two men, aged 18 and 19, have been arrested. They are currently in police custody being questioned.'

Epigram reported this morning and yesterday on the case which took place near New Bridewell student accommodation on Sunday evening. The student, whose name is unknown, is in a serious but stable condition.

In an earlier statement, A University spokesperson said: 'The University is urging students to be vigilant after a student was assaulted in Nelson Street in the city centre on Sunday evening. Thankfully incidents of this nature are very rare, but this has understandably caused worry and concern among students who live in the city centre.

'Information from the police on keeping yourself safe has been sent to all students living in city centre accommodation. Students with any concerns are asked to seek guidance from Security Services or our dedicated police officer. In addition, student support services are available to anyone who needs them.'

Anyone with any further information regarding the incident is encouraged to contact the police on 101 and quote reference number 5219046796.

Featured image: University of Bristol

Facebook // Epigram // Twitter // Instagram