The best day trips to take from Bristol

Fancy escaping the Bristol bubble for a day? Olivia Tapper shares her favourite spots just a short train ride away.

By Olivia Tapper First year English

Whether you live for vintage shopping and quirky boutiques or prefer cute cafes and stunning scenery Bristol has something for everyone. This bustling city and its lethal hills can get to be too much for anyone, however, so here is a list of the top places to escape to for the day.

Bath

Just a short 15 minute train ride away, Bath is renowned as one of the most beautiful cities in England. Its Georgian architecture and Roman Baths have afforded its status as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The city itself is stunning and the top landmarks can all be visited within a day including a few worthwhile museums such as the Fashion Museum of The Herschel Museum of Astronomy. However, if you plan to skip all the tourist attractions and head straight towards the shopping areas then start with Milsom Place for a combination of high street shops and independent stores. The Artisan Quarter also has plenty of vintage and eclectic shops although it doesn’t quite compare to Park Street. Also, with Christmas coming up soon, now is the best time to visit Bath for its Christmas Market which opens on the 22nd of November and runs until the 9th of December hosting a range of stalls with an assortment of ideal gifts as well as plenty of food.

Weston Super Mare

This seaside town may not be the first place that comes to mind now that we’re heading into December but it’s certainly one to think about for the warmer months next year. With a gorgeous beach and pier which is packed full of nostalgic arcade games and treats like candy floss and toffee apples it’s a great place to visit. Weston hosts a variety of events throughout the year such as a Carnival, a literary festival and even a massive ice skating rink which is ideal for the coming months. Whether attending for an event or simply to visit the beach itself, Weston is a brilliant get away spot and is also a perfect starting point to visit nearby towns such as Glastonbury and Cheddar.

31957874423_4c713a14cc_k--1-
Flickr / Alison Day

Oxford

Recognised worldwide as one of the most picturesque cities in England, Oxford is just over an hour away from Bristol and has plenty to offer for an ideal day trip. The beautiful parks and stunning buildings can take up a whole day themselves. Radcliffe square houses a few of the must-see buildings such as the unique Radcliffe Camera and the Bodleian library (it’s no ASS library but it’s certainly worth taking a look). The most recognisable of colleges in Oxford is Christ Church and deserves its own mention, although all of the colleges have their own charm. The city also has a number of museums including the Pitts Rivers Museum or the Ashmolean museum, all offering stunning pieces and exhibitions.

Although all these cities have wonderful things to offer, the truth is that no matter how packed the ASS is or how aggressive starved students get in Sainsburys mid-afternoon, nothing will drive you away from Bristol for too long - after all, where else can you find the one and only Jason Donervan?

Featured Image: Flickr / Jocelyn Erskine-Kellie

What are your favourite day trip destinations? Let us know!

Instagram // Twitter // Facebook