News2023

Bristol SU releases statement on Israel-Palestine conflict

Bristol SU have released a statement on the ongoing conflict in Israel and Palestine, offering support to those impacted by the war.

By Lottie Leigh, News Reporter

Bristol SU have released a statement on the ongoing conflict in Israel and Palestine which offers support to those impacted by the war.

The statement was written by Saranya Thambirajah, the Equality, Liberation and Access Officer.

In the statement, Bristol SU reaffirmed their commitment to a free Palestine as well as tackling hatred:

Saranya Thambirajah, author of the statement - image credit Facebook: Vote Saranya #1 for ELA Officer

'As the violence in Palestine and Israel continues and spreads, we want to reiterate our solidarity with all those who have been affected.

For many, this conflict will have formed part of the backdrop of this academic year, and likely will continue to do so – we know it’s crucial not to stop paying attention or speaking out, and to continue supporting the groups this has impacted.

[...] Palestinian people are not responsible for the actions of Hamas and Jewish people are not responsible for the actions of the Israeli government. Advocating for a free Palestine and combatting antisemitism are not mutually exclusive, and we will continue to do both.'

The full statement is on the SU website.

Bristol SU also detailed the support available through the Global Lounge. This includes monthly talks which can be found here.

They also offer advice to students who wish to apply for exceptional circumstances through the SU Academic Advice Service.

The SU offers opportunities for those wishing to take action such as a Palestine Fundraising Fair on the 6th of February and a direct dialogue which you can get involved with by emailing su-ela@bristol.ac.uk.

Featured Image: Patrick Sullivan, Epigram

What do you think about the SU's statement?