Arts2024

Powerful, emotional, and resonant: Wonder Boy at the Bristol Old Vic

The play follows Sonny, a 12-year-old boy suffering from a severe stutter. Sonny loves to draw and has a vivid imagination. One creation, ‘Captain Chatter’ acts as a voice inside Sonny's head offering encouragement, or sowing doubt that he'll never overcome the challenges life throws at him.

"Wonder Boy" is, in three words, powerful, emotional, and resonant.

Wonder Boy, written by Ross Willis, is simple yet deeply affecting, following the story of Sonny (portrayed by Hilson Agbangbe) a 12-year-old boy who suffers from a severe stutter. Sonny loves to draw and has a vivid imagination. One of his creations, a comic book superhero named ‘Captain Chatter’ (portrayed by Ciaran O’Breen) is portrayed as a distinct character, acting as a voice inside Sonny's head. Sometimes this inner voice offers encouragement, but it sometimes sows doubt, convincing Sonny that he'll never overcome his stutter, or the challenges life throws at him.

A unique and striking element of the production is in its use of "subtitles" projected behind the actors. However, calling them subtitles doesn’t quite do them justice — they are full of personality and interwoven with special effects, adding a dynamic layer to the performance. This creative choice injects energy into the play and emphasises its message of being misunderstood.

Throughout the play, Sonny battles with these inner conflicts associated with his stutter while preparing for a pivotal moment—delivering a few lines in his school play. He is supported by his friend Roshi (portrayed by Naia Elliott-Spence) who acts as comedy relief while also complementing the theme of being misunderstood. Roshi, although seemingly more articulate, also deals with the weight of being unheard due to her race and economic background. The play masterfully shows that even though Roshi can speak perfectly she struggles deeply with societal stereotypes and challenges associated with being a young black girl.

Sonny’s teacher (portrayed by Eva Scott) plays a key role in his growth, helping him navigate his trauma and build the courage to speak, especially as he grapples with the loss of his mother who Sonny believes he is responsible for due to his stutter.

The stutter itself becomes a powerful metaphor for how society marginalises the voices of the poor and disadvantaged. The principal (portrayed by Jess Murrain) acts as the suede villain of the play where we learn that the pressure from the government to meet quotas and standards often doesn’t align with the real help disadvantaged students need to truly be successful.

The play masterfully illustrates that the struggle to be understood is universal. It uses Sonny’s stutter not just as a unique struggle for him, but as a lens through which to explore broader issues of communication, isolation, and societal indifference. Roshi's experiences further deepen this message, making the play's commentary on society's refusal to listen even more powerful.

The performance of the actors was outstanding, and they truly did the production justice and had moments that had us both in tears making it a memorable and thought-provoking experience that neither of us will forget anytime soon.

Wonder Boy is playing at the Bristol Old Vic until Saturday 21st September, you can buy tickets here.

Images courtesy of Steve Tanner.