Watershed - Must See Freshers' Films

Here are some of the best upcoming films to see at the Watershed during Freshers!

Courtesy of Watershed

Anna Luna Biddle, Film and TV, 4th Year

When thinking of Freshers Week, the first thing that comes to mind is endless socialising, and for some, endless drinking. But to survive the chaos, we propose a calmer activity. One that can be carried out with friends, but also as me-time, when those first Stoke Bishop flat parties have drained your social battery. One that will cost you the price of two VKs (or of a vanilla oat iced-latte), but keep you entertained for hours. It is a suggestion that many Fresher's guides tend to leave out, an underrated lifesaver. The activity in question? A trip to the cinema. And since it's Bristol we're talking about, the location is Watershed. Watershed is an independent venue on the harbourside, with a cafe/bar and an exciting programme of independent films and festivals. Its cozy screens and spacious seating make you never want to enter a commercial/shopping centre cinema ever again, let alone its £5 anytime tickets available for students. A creative gem at the heart of the city, it was named the leading film culture and media centre in the South West. Here are some of the upcoming films you can go see this September at the venue.

Sing Sing (202)

Courtesy of IMDb

For the A24 fiends starting university, this inspirational account of a prison theatre program has received stellar reviews. It tells the real-life story of how inmates of a New York penitentiary found their voices through an artistic rehabilitation project. And Sing Sing's director, Greg Kwedar, chose to do so with a magnificent cast of former prisoners, who experienced the program themselves. It is a statement on the transformative power of the arts, guaranteed to please any of us film/theatre geeks.

The Outrun (2024)

Courtesy of IMDb

Based on Amy Liptrot's memoir, this drama stars Saoirse Ronan as 29-year-old Rona, who returns to her Scottish island hometown after rehab from alcoholism, in an attempt to come to terms with her past. It is an introspective journey that leaps back and forth in time to cover the main character's descent into the mess of addiction. If there's one thing Saoirse Ronan does well, it is the conflicted female character coming of age, and her performance in The Outrun has been the object of critics' praise.

Starve Acre (2024)

Courtesy of IMDb

In this folk horror, Matt Smith plays an archaeologist who moves back to his rural England hometown with his family. What follows is an interaction between his memories and the occult, leading to a descent into supernatural darkness. From the executive producers of The Zone of Interest (2023) and MaXXXine (2024), the trailer is enough to make you as uncomfortable as a good psychological thriller should.

The Disappearance of Shere Hite (2023)

Courtesy of IMDb

If you're looking for something more educational, then this documentary about American feminist icon Shere Hite should be on your first-term bucket list. In 1976, Hite published the 'Hite Report', which challenged the commonplace perceptions of female sexuality at the time. After years of hostile reception and personal attacks from male public figures of the time, she was forced to escape to Europe. This documentary does justice to her legacy, exploring her life and prominence, all through the voice of Dakota Johnson. Although it will not be playing at Watershed in September, it has been confirmed for some time in the remaining months of 2024, so keep an eye out and don't forget to check out our review on here if in doubt!

Which film are you most looking forward to?