Bristol University confirms more than 1000 cases of COVID-19

More than 1,000 people at the University of Bristol have tested positive for COVID-19.

By Epigram News Team

1,012 people have tested positive for COVID-19 at Bristol University as reported in their latest coronavirus statistics.

Cases of coronavirus at Bristol University have risen higher than 1,000 cases for the first time today, the University has announced.

996 of the confirmed cases are among students, with 16 among the staff. This means that one in 28 students now have the virus, compared to one in 495 staff members.

In Bristol as a whole, the rate is one in 130 people.

Today’s figures saw a rise of 85, a sharp increase on yesterday’s rise of 25 cases.

Last week, the rate of new cases sloped downwards, with a sustained drop from 139 on 12 October to 29 on 19 October. However, rates may now be beginning to increase again.

Most confirmed cases in Bristol have come from Stoke Bishop and Bristol’s city centre, two areas with large student populations. Other areas with notable rises include Cotham and Clifton East.

In an attempt to stem the outbreak, the University have placed halls of residences into lockdown, which has so far consisted of putting The Courtrooms, in the city centre, and one block of forty students at Hiatt Baker into a two-week quarantine.‌

Residents at The Courtrooms are now nearing the end of their isolation-period, with their last full day of isolation expected to be 22 October.

All students currently self-isolating at their halls of residence are being provided support from the University, including the delivery of food and medicines, and the collection of laundry and waste.

Mental health and wellbeing resources are available online for those struggling with the implications of being in quarantine.

Following the outbreak at The Courtrooms, the University of Bristol set up two Mobile Testing Units (MTUs) for exclusive use of University students and staff, in addition to its main testing unit at the Victoria Rooms.

These are located at North Village (University Hall) at Stoke Bishop, BS9 1AR, and at the rear entry of the Biomedical Sciences Building via Medical Avenue, BS8 1TD.

Featured Image: Epigram / Lucy O’Neill

What do you think about the latest figures?