News2023

Record attendance at Bristol University open days: 40,000 people experience a day at the Bristol campus

Image Courtesy - Milan Perera

By Milan Perera, Deputy Editor

The University of Bristol opened its doors to more than 40,000 people on Friday and Saturday (June 16 and 17) for its first open days of the year.

With an unprecedented attendance for the two-day events, the University of Bristol showcased the diverse and enriching aspects of university life to prospective students and their families.

With sunny weather at disposal, the event provided an opportunity for prospective students to explore the various academic offerings, discover the state-of-the-art facilities, and engage with current students and staff members.

Some of the attendees at Royal Fort Gardens - Milan Perera

The joint industrial action of University and College Union (UCU) and UNISON coincided with the university open day and led to the cancellation of several events due to staff absence and building closure. For example, School of Geographical Sciences remain closed for Friday, June 16.

Sports societies - Milan Perera

Most events went ahead as planned despite the strike action. Prospective students and their families were greeted by student ambassadors and staff, who guided them through the extensive range of activities and information sessions available.

The events were dotted around the campus from Royal Fort Gardens to Woodland Road on the University’s wellbeing support, accommodation, sports facilities, Careers Service, scholarships and 350 sports groups and societies.

Volunteers at History of Art stall - Milan Perera

From 9.30am to 4.30pm, visitors had the chance to attend subject-specific talks and presentations delivered by researchers and students. The university's faculties and departments prepared interactive sessions, showcasing the breadth of academic disciplines on offer. From science and engineering to humanities and social sciences, the open day highlighted the diverse range of study options available at the University of Bristol.

School Modern Languages was one of the busiest sites during the open day - Milan Perera

One of the busiest areas of the open days was School of Modern Languages on Woodland Road, which attracted large number of prospective students and their parents with inquiries about degree courses on offer and the facilities available.

Volunteers at the department of Italian - Milan Perera

Beyond academics, the open days also focused on the wider university experience. Visitors had the chance to interact with current students who were keen to share their personal insights and experiences.

Group of volunteers at the open day - Milan Perera

Guided tours of the campus offered glimpses into the university's student accommodations, sports facilities, and social spaces, highlighting the vibrant community that awaits future students.

Department Religion and Theology was another well attended stall - Milan Perera

Furthermore, the event showcased the extensive range of extracurricular activities available at the University of Bristol. Student clubs and societies set up vibrant stalls, displaying the diverse interests and passions catered to within the university community. From sports clubs and performing arts groups such as Bristol University Music Society (BUMS) to volunteering initiatives and cultural societies, the open days provided a glimpse into the thriving student life that makes Bristol a truly unique university.

Ensemble of Bristol University Music Society (BUMS) performing Petite Suite by Claude Debussy - Milan Perera

Speaking to Epigram, the volunteers pointed out that the attendance at the open days was a testament to the University of Bristol's reputation as a leading institution, attracting students from across the nation and beyond.

Royal Fort Gardens - Milan Perera

As the next generation of scholars prepare to embark on their university journey, Bristol remains at the forefront, ready to offer them an enriching and transformative education.