An introduction to: Mr. Chubbs Gastric Band

Harry Bowden-Ford gives an introduction to the Bristol alumni, jazz/funk/soul ensemble: Mr. Chubb's Gastric Band.

By Harry Bowden-Ford

Since they formed in 2015, Mr. Chubb’s Gastric Band have played countless gigs across Bristol. The eight-piece function band deliver a mesmerising mix of funk and soul classics and modern pop hits to their audiences that consistently dazzle and delight. They’ve played a number of student formals, corporate and charity events, regularly frequented Jazz/Funk/Soul jam nights at Mr. Wolf’s on Tuesdays, and have recently become the house band for The White Rabbit in Clifton: their Facebook page states that they are “available for weddings, parties and bar mitzvahs”.

Composed of Frances Cummings (Vocals), Jake Herbert (Alto Sax), Olly Chubb (Trumpet), Jack Kelly (Trombone), George Leggett (Keys), Matt Petrie (Guitar), Matt Robson (Bass), and Andee Liu (Drums), the band is made up entirely of Bristol students who met at the regular Tuesday jam nights Jazz/Funk/Soul society hosts at Mr. Wolf’s.

Now both a function band for hire and The White Rabbit house band, they’re an industrious group who’ve rightfully earned themselves a reputation as one of the best non-society student function bands at the University of Bristol. Naturally, their numerous gigs draw impressive crowds. Each member of the band is a strong musician, and a show rarely goes amiss without a section dedicated to showcasing the band members’ individual talents through awe-inspiring, jazzy solos.

Alongside their proficient performances, the band’s setlists are strong crowd-pleasers. Comprised of a compelling mix of funk, soul and pop tunes that are often instantly recognisable, their cover choices rarely fail to get an audience singing and dancing. Artists such as Bruno Mars, Al Green, Dusty Springfield, and Alicia Keys are regularly covered, and soulful twists on Adele and Clean Bandit have made appearances; a gig seldom passes without playing something by Stevie Wonder.

Both aspects have allowed their fanbase and demand to grow rapidly, and as a result, they regularly play several paid gigs a week. Their progression from humble beginnings to success as a function band whilst managing their studies is at the very least impressive, if not inspiring. Such a career just goes to show the heights dedicated students can reach juggling their degree with a love of music.

Now in their final years of university, Mr. Chubb’s Gastric Band can look back on a very successful spell of shows, and are contemplating their future as a function band around Bristol. Whatever the next step is for the group, it’s safe to say they’ll be jamming out plenty of powerful performances between now and graduation day. With many more chances to see them play yet, be sure to head down to their next show and see them play: you’d be mad to miss it.

For more info on Mr. Chubb's Gastric Band and for (non-digestive related) bookings check get in touch on Facebook!