News2022

Sustainable Fashion Week launches in Bristol this weekend

Between 16th-25th September, events will be taking place across Bristol as part of the UK’s first and only Sustainable Fashion Week.

Marine Saint, Deputy Editor and Features Columnist

Organised by A Single Thread CIC, the activities from styling workshops to second-hand markets are available to attend across the city and online.

Over this coming weekend three floors of the Bristol Beacon will be transformed into the hub of the Sustainable Fashion Week. Clothes swaps, panel talks, and independent vintage clothing brand rails are on offer for visitors and will focus on environmentally friendly fashion.

The week’s diverse events will bring together local businesses and key figures in sustainable fashion, driven by the aim to advocate for the slow fashion movement. Brands involved in the clothing market will have exclusive student discounts on offer and will welcome students to the sustainable fashion community. The full programme of activities can be found here.

The first catwalk show debuts on 21st September at The Mount Without, showcasing upcycled clothing designed by City of Bristol college students. Events centred around wardrobe re-imagination and the power of pre-loved clothing continues with a Re-Fresher Your Style day on 22ndSeptember.

Directed at students, the Re-Fresher Your Style shopping day hosted by Sustainable Fashion Week and Bristol City Centre BID aims to introduce students to local business supporting the slow fashion community. This will then be followed by a free-to-register sustainable student fashion panel discussion and live styling evening at The Vintage Thrift Store on Park Street.

Industry experts such as Sustainable Fashion Week founder, Amelia Twine, will discuss how to disrupt the fast fashion industry, the story behind the fashion week and the speakers’ own career paths. The panel event will provide complimentary food and drinks for attendees in partnership with Bristol Folk House and Pizzarova. Other supporters of the events are headlined by Yeo Valley, along with sponsors Bristol City Centre BID, Charity Retail Association, Thriftify, Broadmead Bristol BID, Presca and Anthesis.

A post shared by Sustainable Fashion Week (@sustainablefashionweek_uk)

With the week’s programme covering all from fashion repair to the future of the industry, Twine noted that ‘There is something for everyone to get involved in to start realising the creative potential and environmental power of second-hand fashion.’

For more information about the speakers and to keep up with the varied activities, follow Sustainable Fashion Week on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.

Featured Image: Sustainable Fashion Week/ Plaster Communications