Where to go wild swimming around us

The Croft Magazine // Wild swimming has really taken off over the last couple of years. It has great health benefits and is a great way to explore nature.

By Mia Austin, Digital Travel Editor

Please remember: Leave the area how you found it, beware of depth and check weather conditions before you swim. Also, heads up if you’re visiting these places over the summer… they’ll be busy, so go early to avoid the crowds.

1. Warleigh Weir / Claverton Weir (Bath, BA1 8EE), 40 min drive/ just over an hour on public transport

Shallow paddling areas with deeper spots. Green space for picnics and sunbathing (take a book and enjoy the sunshine).

2. Eastwood Farm Nature Reserve (Brislington, BS15 3AW), 20 min drive or 30 min cycle

The nature reserve has large green spaces for picnics and access the river by paths down muddy banks. Have a pint at Beese’s Riverside Pub. On the Conham side, access the river via steps from the river path

3. West Lyford (Somerton, TA11 7DB), 1 hour drive

Though further afield, you’re rewarded with an idyllic setting. If you’re feeling adventurous, try out the rope swing. Access the river through the church yard.

4. Saltford Weir (Saltford, BS31 3ER), 30 min drive or an easy cycle along the Bristol-Bath path

Great grassy banks for picnics and games, plus panoramic views of the surrounding hills. Grab a pint at the pub.

5. Clevedon Marine Lake (Clevedon, BS21 7TU), 20 min drive

A tidal pool on the North Somerset coast, popular all year round. Head for an evening swim and grab some fish and chips from the sea front. Clevedon Pier was featured in the You and I music video by One Direction.

Featured Image: Epigram / Mia Austin