University of Bristol announces new Vice-Chancellor

The University of Bristol has announced the appointment of a new Vice-Chancellor to take over from Professor Hugh Brady who will be leaving the university this year following a seven stint.

By Filiz Gurer and Holly Beaumont, Co-Editors-in-Chief

The University of Bristol has announced the appointment of a new Vice-Chancellor to take over from Professor Hugh Brady, who will be leaving the university this year following a seven year stint.

Professor Evelyn Welch has been appointed the next Vice-Chancellor and President and will take up the post in September.

Professor Welch will be the first woman to take up the role of Vice-Chancellor at the university, being the 14th VC to lead the institution.

Professor Evelyn Welch

Professor Evelyn Welch MBE is an eminent academic in the fields of History and Art History and will be coming to the University of Bristol from King’s College London, where she has been in senior leadership roles since 2013 as Vice-President of Arts and Sciences, Provost of Arts and Sciences and currently Senior Vice-President.

Before this, Professor Welch held senior leadership roles at the University of Sussex and Queen Mary’s, University of London. Her earlier teaching was at the University of Essex, the Warburg Institute and Birkbeck College.

Profesor of Renaissance Studies, Evelyn Welch’s academic career started with her own studies at Harvard University in Renaissance History and Literature, followed by her doctorate at the Warburg Institute London. Her teaching and research spans the disciplines of  History, Art History, European Studies and English.

Professor Welch has led a number of major interdisciplinary Arts and Humanities research programmes and has served as Trustee of the Victoria & Albert Museum and now serves as the Chair of Trustees of the Dulwich Picture Gallery.

Professor Evelyn Welch said: “Bristol is a remarkable global university in a great city. Its passionate, talented and innovative staff and students change lives for the better every day. I am excited about the University’s new vision and strategy and proud to be the first woman to lead such an outstanding institution. I look forward to serving the whole Bristol community to fully realise our potential and achieve our shared ambitions, locally, nationally and globally.”

Sir Paul Nurse, Chancellor of the University of Bristol, said: “I’m delighted by the appointment of Professor Welch as Vice-Chancellor and President of Bristol. She will be a fantastic asset to the University and is perfectly placed to help our community progress its academic and civic mission. I’m sure she will be warmly welcomed as we move into the future with considerable confidence and
optimism.”

Professor Hugh Brady remains as Vice-Chancellor of the University of Bristol until August 2022, when he will leave to take up his new role as President of Imperial College London.

Professor Welch's daughter is Florence Welch, frontwoman of band Florence and the Machine.

Featured Image: Epigram/The University of Bristol